MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Madge flog Harold’s stuff on eBay?

Options

Comments

• mishabgt
    Options
    If Madge is smart enough to spot something in the heap of stuff Harold has put out, and is lucky enough to sell it on Ebay, then why the heck not? Any of the other "neighbours" could do the same, it's just that Madge has got to the item first. If Harold was that bothered about people making profit out of the stuff, he wouldn't have put it as a "help yourself" pile, he would have made it an "invitation viewing" where he could question the people's situations and what they were going to do with it.

I say, Go Madge! I wish my neighbours would help me out financially! Think of it not as people making money out of Harold's stuff, more Harold giving them money!
  • ringley
    Options
    To all those who've suggested that Madge should just go for it, and it's hard cheese for Harold, you have just forfeited the right to:
    - moan when someone queue jumps
    - be upset if someone double-crosses you to get a promotion at work
    - show outrage at an ebay seller overcharging for postage & packing

Why? Because they're all examples of the "Me first, stuff everyone else" attitude that's led to this country and this world being in the state they're in!

Taking advantage of someone's innocent generosity in this way is just wrong.
  • denimmaterial
    Options
    If I were in the same situation, I would point out to Harold that some of his rubbish could be sold on ebay and offer to do it for him for 50% of any profit.
  • M9bhs
    Options
    If Madge is a good neighbour and gets on well with Harold (if not, is there something we don't know?) the conversation should go like this.

Madge. "Hi Harold. You know all that stuff you've thrown out, well I reckon you could sell some of it on ebay and make a few quid."

Harold. "Oh thanks Madge. I'll have a try. I'll make sure you get something out of it."

OR:

Harold: "Oh thanks Madge. To be honest I can't be bothered. You go ahead. If you sell any of it maybe you can buy me a beer."

Of course, if they don't get on then what the hell.
  • ringley
    Options
    M9bhs wrote:
    Of course, if they don't get on then what the hell.

Or, if they don't get on, here's an opportunity to build a bridge and improve their relationship?
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think neighbours should care about it each other and should try to have good relationships. I think it would only be right for Madge to tell Harold her thoughts about the possible value of some of the stuff. If he still doesn't want it, or the effort of selling it, then Madge can continue with a clear conscience. But it might still be nice for her to share half the profits with him afterwards.
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Yes she should sell the stuff and then surprise him by printing out the sales invoices and giving them to him with the cash.
  • scrooge678
    Options
    By the way, Charlotte 664, it isn't actually legal to take stuff left in a skip, either. It still belongs to somebody and taking it is theft. This was discussed several times on Radio 2 when Jimmy Young used to have his legal expert in, and he always said you must ask the owner before taking stuff. I know 99% of people would just take it without asking, but that doesn't make it legal.
  • powsuzy
    Options
    Explain to Harold what the stuff is worth - and that it can be sold on ebay. Ask if he wants you to do this for him - if he says no - take it sell it and then take the profits round to him in cold hard cash - if he still doesn't want it the mans a saint and you're quids in.
  • irishwench69
    Options
    Shiggaddi wrote:
    I'd put an advert up in Scott's newsagent, next to the dodgy photography advert from Charlene, advertising all the stuff!! This would avoid putting it on ebay, and having ebay taking a large chunk of the profits, and having to pay for postage.

:rotfl: :T :rotfl: :T

Loving the idea of all these characters living in some fictional street / soapland somewhere.... :D

FWIW, my opinion is that Madge should make it clear that she had seen some of the goods were valuable, and offer to sell them for Harold. That way, she may still get a cut of the profits from him, but she has been a good neighbour too! :money:

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure