What would you do?

I'm posting this here because it's sort of disability related.

Today I went to Morrisons, and went to the toilet. On my way, I passed the men's and there was an old man with one of those 3 wheeled walker things struggling to open the door. So I said "oh, can you manage?" and he said "no, I'm struggling to keep my balance and push it open".

So I held the door open for him whilst he got through.

But there was an inner door too, so he had the same problem there. I didn't particularly want to go in the men's toilet but also didn't want to leave him struggling. Luckily then another man came along and I managed to persuade him to hold the door but if he hadn't it would have been awkward.
Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
100% paid off :j

Comments

• formaldehyde_perfume
    formaldehyde_perfume Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2012 at 3:43PM
    Yes it would have been awkward, but I would have done it anyway. I am very thankful to my mum who brought me up leading by example of 'if you think it is the right thing to do, don't let society embaress you or convince you otherwise'

I think the 'correct' thing to do would be to find a male member of staff and ask them to help, but that wastes time and valuble energy.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    juno wrote: »
    I'm posting this here because it's sort of disability related.

Today I went to Morrisons, and went to the toilet. On my way, I passed the men's and there was an old man with one of those 3 wheeled walker things struggling to open the door. So I said "oh, can you manage?" and he said "no, I'm struggling to keep my balance and push it open".

So I held the door open for him whilst he got through.

But there was an inner door too, so he had the same problem there. I didn't particularly want to go in the men's toilet but also didn't want to leave him struggling. Luckily then another man came along and I managed to persuade him to hold the door but if he hadn't it would have been awkward.

Wasn't there a disabled persons lavatory as well? There is in the Morrisons I use.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Why would it have been awkward to hold the inner door open?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I dont have any qualms, had i been desperate to use the loo and there was a queue of 20 women at the ladies, I would go to the gents, simple as that, If the men didnt like it, its them that have the problem. Seen one seen 'em all is my motto lol

Ive done it as a matter of fact. Newcastle City Hall, no one in the gents, loads and loads at the ladies, need to go now, so went.

Lots of 'tuts' from some of the ladies but noticed one or two went in after me.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    I dont have any qualms, had i been desperate to use the loo and there was a queue of 20 women at the ladies, I would go to the gents, simple as that, If the men didnt like it, its them that have the problem. Seen one seen 'em all is my motto lol

Ive done it as a matter of fact. Newcastle City Hall, no one in the gents, loads and loads at the ladies, need to go now, so went.

Lots of 'tuts' from some of the ladies but noticed one or two went in after me.

Absolutely. In many loos abroad you have to walk past the urinals to get to the WCs.
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    also could have asked a member of staff. just a thought.;)
    but a least you gave him a hand which is more than some.

good on you
  • I used to work on building sites and they never provided loos for ladies when I first started out i just used to call out "if you don't turn round I won't laugh"
    well today was a complete waste of make up :eek:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Absolutely. In many loos abroad you have to walk past the urinals to get to the WCs.

It would be the astonished look on the mens faces I would be looking at:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport