Improving credit rating

Options
I have seen this things for sale on ebay to impprove your credit rating. Is there any way that I can do it legally. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore all those scams. There is no quick way. Depending on how bad your credit rating is at the moment, getting a vanquis card (sky high interest rate but sub prime lender) and paying off in full by direct debit each month for a couple of years will reestablish a good payment history which can help.
  • xgingerx
    Options
    Hi, this website is full of tips !!!!!

Dont pay for what you can learn and do yourself
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
  • xgingerx
    Options
    Do u have a bad credit rating ??

Key Points:

1) Make sure you are on the electoral role - they like to see usually 3 or more years at current address is best for your score

2) ALways pay your bills on time

3) Make sure you have a bank account which reports good history to the credit ref agencies - Nationwide do a basic flexaccount if you are having trouble getting one

4) Having a credit card and using 20-25 quid a month and paying off the balance in full always helps - I am guessing you have a problem with your score so thats why you are asking? Capital One/Barclaycard/Vanquis all do cards to help rebuild credit but interest rate are 27% - 49.9% so dont us them to carry a balance.
    5) Only apply for credit if you really need it, you get the best score in this area if you have made no searches on your file in the last 6 months!!
    6) Ideally you dont want any CCJ's or Defaults as many mainstreem lenders this will be an instant rejection - if you do have these then you should be trying to pay these off and get them marked as satisfied
    7) Having all your credit cards etc maxed out also lowers your score, you should leave at least 30% of your available credit unused if possible so it doesnt look like you are using the credit to live on

I dont your situation but have listed a few tips above which does work.

Im sure if you look round this website you will find many more pointers, also if you google "improve my credit score" there are loads of tips on this subject, some american sites as well but exactly the same principles

Good luck
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    7) Having all your credit cards etc maxed out also lowers your score, you should leave at least 30% of your available credit unused if possible so it doesnt look like you are using the credit to live on
    Not sure I agree with this last point as I run most of my 0% cards as close to the limits as I can, and never have a problem getting replacements.
  • xgingerx
    Options
    Hi, i was only on about optimising your score to get the best possible :)
  • mariusvb
    Options
    What they sell on eBay are guides. You can't just buy something that will improve your credit rating automatically.
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    all my 0% cards are maxed out and I have just been refused 2 cards so I think it does affect it....all my other details are really good( ie long time at address, no late payments) ....just lots of 0% cards all maxed out
    Wombling £457.41
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport