MSE News: NHS prescription charges in England to rise

Replies

• 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My GP refuses - point blank to increase my monthly prescription from one to two months supply - despite having been on the same tablets for 2 years
    This would effectively have halved my prescription costs !!
    Why would he do this ?
  • The article actually claims that free prescriptions actually saves the NHS in Wales money.

Person in Wales here. I went to the pharmacy this morning to buy something for my eye.

The pharmacist decided it was not conjunctivitus, so I need to see my GP. To get an appointment at my GP, you need to phone before 8:30. So waiting for the pharmacy to open has left me with no way to get treatment for my eye, reducing my productivity for the day.

I've learned my lesson. Next time I have some minor ailment, instead of heading to the pharmacy, I will book a probably unnecessary GP appointment, and get a prescription for my over-the-counter medicine.

Cost to Wales:
    - lower productivity for me today
    - future unnecessary GP appointments
    - cost of subsidising free prescriptions for OTC medicines

Note, cost to England - nothing. Wales gets a health budget and decides how to spend it. Choosing to subsidise prescriptions (supposedly to make Welsh people healthier) just removes money that would be spent on other ways of making Welsh people healthier.
  • I hate this argument.

We get it - dentists and doctors are well off, but why shouldn't they be?

They train for years, they study for years, they're highly skilled at what they do - why shouldn't they be renumerated accordingly?

If you're jealous of the car that your dentist drives or the house your GP lives in, go and do what they did and train to be one yourself.

Because there's a question mark on just how necessary they are.
    For example if people didn't have to use both a GP and a pharmacy to buy medicine there would be much less need for them.
  • 21Twinkle wrote: »
    My GP refuses - point blank to increase my monthly prescription from one to two months supply - despite having been on the same tablets for 2 years
    This would effectively have halved my prescription costs !!
    Why would he do this ?
    Because the actually prescription tariff price is billed back to the GP's surgery (private company, essentially) thus it's much more cost effective for them to make you pay each month. As part of efficiency savings GPs are advised to not prescribe more than 28 days unless significant reason to do so.

Not going to change, should have been bought in a long time ago in all honesty.

Regards,
    Andy
  • rinabeanrinabean Forumite
    359 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If it's cheaper for Wales to do it this way, it's not just the savings made by ensuring people treat conditions before they worsen. I'm sure they save a lot in bureaucracy, too - no forms to tick and documents to check for 90% of all prescriptions (didn't realise it was only 10% who paid!).
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With current levels of computerisation, it would cost the NHS mere pennies to let people know the actual cost of the prescriptions that they receive. Compare that then to the complaints we see on these forums about vet's bills.

With any luck, it might concentrate minds on whether that repeat script is really needed.
  • emweaveremweaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    molerat wrote: »
    And why do those of us who pay our taxes (in Scotland) have to subsidise the dental charges of those in England ?

Free prescriptions (and free parking) comes from the Scottish NHS budget which would be the same whether these were charged for or not. Our dental charges are higher than those in England as we are still on the old pay per item system (except that 6 monthly check ups are free).

We have to pay for our 6 monthly checkups and your lucky to get a NHS dentist and private dentists charge more , possibly more than your "higher" nhs charges.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • emweaveremweaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Middy wrote: »
    If he has to take these tablets for the rest of his life, he should get them free.

I have 3 friends that take medication for thyroid problems and this medication and others they need to take for other things are free.

Consult your GP.

That is incorrect, my mil has to take several medicines for the rest of her life as did my fil when he was alive they did not get theirs free they just had to pay annually to save themselves money.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • nonnatusnonnatus Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I DO begrudge having to pay £7.65 to buy my Beta-Blockers, which only cost the pharmacy around £1.35 (according to my out of date copy of the BNF).
    However, when my daughter fell ill and we were given a stash of medications so numerous that I could've opened my OWN pharmacy, I was charged nothing.
    The people who pay subsidise the people who can't. That's the way this country works. Dates back to some bloke called Robin Hood apparently :rotfl:

What needs looking at is making changes to the list of exempt peoples maybe. Or devise a "scale" of exemption whereby it's not all or nothing, you instead issue discounts. Some people would get 90% discount, some only 10% discount.

There is also the problem of wastage in this country because stuff is collected because it's free and then wasted or mis-used. In France (and yes, I KNOW they don't have a sainted NHS!) everyone pays up front for prescriptions and then claims back their exemption. So the Grand-maman offered a 20euro pack of Aspirin by the GP declines the prescription because she knows it will cost her 50euros there and then and she will have all the Faffing of having to claim it back. She instead goes to the Chemist and buys the same Aspirin at a fraction of the cost.
  • Our prescription charges have ALREADY gone up

My husband is on continuous medication - previously he got his presciption every 2 months - now it is every month, doubling his charges - also there is the inconvenience of remembering to renew the prescription every month

My friend, who works for a different surgery, says the same thing has happened there

This is most unfair when Scotland and Wales have free medicines
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides