Real Life MMD: Should I keep schtum over damaging neighbour's car?

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep schtum over damaging neighbour's car?

[FONT=&quot]My three-year-old nephew climbed into my car while I was visiting my sister. I asked him to get out, and he pushed the door open into my sister's next-door neighbour's car, which is in good nick (personalised number plate, no mud, etc). There was a mark which didn't go with a quick spit polish. Should I a) own up and offer to pay for any repainting b) tell my sister and ask her to go halves c) ignore the problem - the neighbour probably hasn't noticed anyway? [/FONT]

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If this car was your pride and joy, what would you want to happen?
  • Do you really need to ask?

We're all money savers here but I doubt many would take it as far as being dishonest, or would condone it.
  • Humm, all depends on the type of dent. If it went down to metal I would say something, If it was a tiny mark I would probably keep quiet. Personally I have never understood why anyone would want to drive a prisitine car as you are going to be upset at some point. I have never had a new car, always driven bangers and if anyone dinked it in supermarket, well it would never worry me. Life is too short to worry about a painted metal brick - then again thats only my opinion..............
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's a nice flash car then it'll be just your luck he has some nice CCTV on it at all times and will have caught you doing it!

To be honest, I'd be absolutely fuming if my niece or nephew had done this. If you weren't responsible for him at the time (not looking after him) then I'd be telling your sister to pay for everything. Fair enough it was your car but she needs to take responsibility for her child and take the consequences of his actions.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Be big and do the decent thing.

Furthermore you don't ask three year olds, you tell them.
  • juggsy
    juggsy Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not quite the same, but a couple of years ago when it was very icy, I skidded and tapped my neighbours car (a few doors away). It was a fair bump but only marked their car, nothing major. The worst thing was I had just moved and not met them yet.

Of course the thoughts go through your mind on whether you can get away with it, we're only human. However I quickly manned up and knocked on the door to tell them what happened. They were actually fine, and we're now good friends. We may not have met without the 'incident'.

My point is, own up alongside your sister, as its her kid and will probably know them if they are next door. They'll probably be cool and understand, and you'll have a clear conscience.
  • scotsbob wrote: »
    Be big and do the decent thing.

Furthermore you don't ask three year olds, you tell them.

She asked him to get out and he did - he has to open the door to get out, surely?

Unless you can think of any other ways of getting out of a car without opening any doors. Sunroof perhaps but he is only 3 and perhaps a little too small to be clambering out of sunroofs.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • nhampson
    nhampson Posts: 133 Forumite
    A useful idea in these situations is to put yourself in the other persons shoes and think what you would like to happen then. Yes, the damage should be paid for and sadly, your car did the damage so you are liable for the cost.

Perhaps your sister may pay or contribute but either way own up.
    Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one.
  • Don't think much of you if you don't know the right thing to do!
  • Own up !!
    You were responsible for the youngster in your car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure