We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
intermittant loss of acceleration
Hi everyone,
Got a bit of bother with my 2006 Eos. It started on Friday after I took the car in to get its alloys changed. I don't think that this is related to the alloy change but thought I would mention it...
Anyway...
Within about half a mile from the tyre specialists I was driving along happily in about 4th gear and all of a sudden I had no power in my acceleration, though the engine was still running. I changed gear and it was all fine again. This happened several times on the 16m drive home. I can't hear any knocking or anything.
Yesterday I drove 35m into London and it was all very smooth with no problems. I then drove about 10 miles up to a friends house, again no problems. When I left my friend's the engine light was on and the was doing the lack of acceleration thing again.
I think this has happened in most of the gears (possibly not 6th gear though)
Any suggestions on what the problem might be would be welcomed.
Thanks
Got a bit of bother with my 2006 Eos. It started on Friday after I took the car in to get its alloys changed. I don't think that this is related to the alloy change but thought I would mention it...
Anyway...
Within about half a mile from the tyre specialists I was driving along happily in about 4th gear and all of a sudden I had no power in my acceleration, though the engine was still running. I changed gear and it was all fine again. This happened several times on the 16m drive home. I can't hear any knocking or anything.
Yesterday I drove 35m into London and it was all very smooth with no problems. I then drove about 10 miles up to a friends house, again no problems. When I left my friend's the engine light was on and the was doing the lack of acceleration thing again.
I think this has happened in most of the gears (possibly not 6th gear though)
Any suggestions on what the problem might be would be welcomed.
Thanks
Man plans and God laughs...
Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
0
Comments
-
Starting with the simple things first there could be a leak in the air induction pipes between the MAF (Mass Air Flow meter) and the inlet manifold. The MAF tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine and the ECU then adjusts the amount of petrol. Extra unmeasured air can cause intermittent loss of accleration as the mixture is lean (i.e. not enough petrol) and the engine management light to come on. On a lot of cars there are smaller pipes (usually rubber) off the main pipe and a leak could be in any of these. Some of the pipes can be like a concertina rather than smooth and finding small splits in the folds can be difficult. After the simple things then probably getting a mechanic to read the error codes would be the next step - unfortunately quite often there is no specific error code for an air leak.0
-
Noooooooooooooo!!! I seem to get the dud VW's. I had problems with my golf last year to do with the ECU.... and it cost £2000 to fix.
Thanks for the suggestion... even if it sounds expensive
Man plans and God laughs...Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.0 -
keep a calm head im sure its not the ECU directly thats faulty.
intermittant fault with poor acceleration. first things first does your car come fitted with tyre pressure indicators? if not not linked to the wheel change.
either that i know the EOS has a problem with airmass meters.0 -
Don't panic - sorry if I didn't describe it well enough.Noooooooooooooo!!! I seem to get the dud VW's. I had problems with my golf last year to do with the ECU.... and it cost £2000 to fix.
Thanks for the suggestion... even if it sounds expensive
If there is an air leak it's 99.999999% certain that it's not a fault with the ECU itself. What is happening is that the ECU is getting incorrect data; i.e. the MAF is saying X amount of air, the ECU calculates Y amount of petrol but due to the leak Z amount of air actually arrives at the inlet manifold because additional air has entered through the leak. Very common problem on some BMW engines - there's been a couple of cases on a BMW forum in last 2 weeks and the cost of a new pipe was £11.
Hopefully yours will be as simple to fix.0 -
Hi everyone,
Got a bit of bother with my 2006 Eos. It started on Friday after I took the car in to get its alloys changed. I don't think that this is related to the alloy change but thought I would mention it...
Did you leave your car with them? or were the wheels changed on the spot?
If left with them id be asking myself if they "took the car for a spin" in your absence....
I mean seriously, new kid gets hands on a car keys, he's about to change the wheels/tyre's, thinks "heh they'll never notice if I go out and do some burn outs on the old tyre's"..... Give mates a call, take's it down the local McD's and thrapes the tits off it.“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”
<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/0 -
Strider590 wrote: »Did you leave your car with them? or were the wheels changed on the spot?
If left with them id be asking myself if they "took the car for a spin" in your absence....
I mean seriously, new kid gets hands on a car keys, he's about to change the wheels/tyre's, thinks "heh they'll never notice if I go out and do some burn outs on the old tyre's"..... Give mates a call, take's it down the local McD's and thrapes the tits off it.
Seriously, what sort of garages do you go to.
They all vanish with the customers cars, and spend the day at McDonalds car park?
The boss never notices, or do they buy him off with a big mac?0 -
Seriously, what sort of garages do you go to.
They all vanish with the customers cars, and spend the day at McDonalds car park?
The boss never notices, or do they buy him off with a big mac?
You can't deny it doesn't happen, so what's the point in your post?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZbQ_KOGBcQ
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/78505-garage-caught-thrashing-monaro-roadhawk.html
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1090944
http://uk.local.yahoo.com/Cambridgeshire/March/Garage%20Services/2029168140-r-28297-review-5.html?fr=
http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t58085.html“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”
<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/0 -
The point is it's your first suggestion, not your last one.
Sometimes I think you wear a tinfoil hat at well.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards