MSE News: Supermarket mis-selling 'costs energy customers £100s'

Options
2»

Comments

• j2011
    j2011 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    I too give them a false name and address, if I can be bothered, because while I am waiting on my wife to do the shopping, I read the magazines.

Anyone who signs up just because they can't say no needs to be more assertive or do as as I do if I am in a hurry and say I am not responsible for the bills.
  • Rusper
    Options
    @Plushchris - of course I'm a salesman. Energy Consultant is just the job title they give us, but we are all salesmen and we all approach people in stores and on the street otherwise we would never get any interest. The difference lies in the way you choose to do it, and whether you know when to back down. More often than not, I can tell after just saying an enthusiastic hello whether someone might want to stop and chat. It's very easy to vilify everybody in the trade, but most of us are not conscience free vermin, hell-bent on preying on the weak. Most of my colleagues are happy, chatty types who love to interact with people and will usually say thank you even if you don't even stop for a quote. The people who inflate annual consumption do it at their own risk, and usually don't last very long as they are found out. I can't speak for other companies but my employer frowns very heavily on such mis-selling.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a negative experience, but believe me - if you are not interested, just politely say no thanks and then just keep walking, no-one will physically restrain you from walking away. If you continue to respond to what they are saying, even by saying no, you are essentially still showing interest - if you stop and talk to us then we WILL continue to pitch you. One trip to a busy market in a third world country would teach you how to politely but assertively decline a salesman or a beggar - just smile and say no, look away immediately and keep walking! It is easier than you think. Certainly don't sign up because you didn't want to hurt that person's feelings!
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    Rusper, we are not obliged to work by your rules at all. In fact quite the opposite, you should be working to the rules of a polite society, where a simple no thanks should be enough to end the sales pitch. If you can't accept this then you are the one being rude and ill-mannered. If you persist in this way don't be surprised when people are rude back at you.

Strangely enough we are not living in a third world country! However if you wish to liken yourself to a beggar then that is your choice.

Dave
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't understand people who sign up to things they don't want or who even talk to these sales people if they don't want to. I'm short and middle aged, so no big threat, and I just say "no thank you" and walk on. If they bar the way I just say "excuse me" and push past. What is wrong with everyone?
  • Consumerist
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    If they bar the way I just say "excuse me" and push past. What is wrong with everyone?
    But barring the way is intimidating, if not threatening, behaviour; not the sort of thing people take kindly to and it is understandable that some might want to avoid any threat, intended or otherwise, by co-operating.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Rusper wrote: »
    @Plushchris - of course I'm a salesman. Energy Consultant is just the job title they give us, but we are all salesmen and we all approach people in stores and on the street otherwise we would never get any interest. The difference lies in the way you choose to do it, and whether you know when to back down. More often than not, I can tell after just saying an enthusiastic hello whether someone might want to stop and chat. It's very easy to vilify everybody in the trade, but most of us are not conscience free vermin, hell-bent on preying on the weak. Most of my colleagues are happy, chatty types who love to interact with people and will usually say thank you even if you don't even stop for a quote. The people who inflate annual consumption do it at their own risk, and usually don't last very long as they are found out. I can't speak for other companies but my employer frowns very heavily on such mis-selling.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a negative experience, but believe me - if you are not interested, just politely say no thanks and then just keep walking, no-one will physically restrain you from walking away. If you continue to respond to what they are saying, even by saying no, you are essentially still showing interest - if you stop and talk to us then we WILL continue to pitch you. One trip to a busy market in a third world country would teach you how to politely but assertively decline a salesman or a beggar - just smile and say no, look away immediately and keep walking! It is easier than you think. Certainly don't sign up because you didn't want to hurt that person's feelings!

Have to agree to disagree on the highlighted above..

So you didnt report them?
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure