Taking Wedding Dress Abroad

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
16 replies 3.5K views
jazzyjustlawjazzyjustlaw Forumite
1.4K Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
I did not put this in the wedding sticky as I wanted all to see first.

I am getting married in Cyprus in September, I have ordered my dress and want to take it in my hand luggage. Is this possible? It is an a line dress not too heavy but I am terrified something will happen to it, if it leaves my side. What does everyone else do. I am willing to show a pic of the dress if it helps.

Thanks
All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]

Replies

• EmmsEmms Forumite
    956 Posts
    Speak to your airline. Some hang them up for you. I took mine on easyjet before in a dress carrier and it was bigger than normal hand luggage size but they had no problems with me carrying it on and I just put it in the overhead lockers.

Emma
  • Congrats on your forthcoming wedding. I got married in the Bahamas many many moons ago. I packed my dress in one of those dress holders and packed it in a separate case. The luggage handlers were very careful with it. The hotel even looked after it for me and hung it up for the creases to drop out of it. Hubby didn't even have a glimpse of it until the day.

Good luck on the day x
  • Congrats on your forthcoming wedding. I got married in the Bahamas many many moons ago. I packed my dress in one of those dress holders and packed it in a separate case. The luggage handlers were very careful with it. The hotel even looked after it for me and hung it up for the creases to drop out of it. Hubby didn't even have a glimpse of it until the day.

Good luck on the day x
  • janinejanine Forumite
    114 Posts
    Hi

I'm getting married in Cyprus too, we leave in just over 3 weeks!!! I had bought a case especially for my dress but unfortunately I only realised 2 days ago that it's a few cm's too big. So I am either going to have to bite my nails the whole journey and let it go in the hold or find an alternative means to take into the cabin with me.

I am so glad you've posted this, I shall be watching it for the responses you get.

Where are you getting married, our wedding is in Paphos.

Janine
    :beer:
  • SmashingSmashing Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Put your fiance in the baggage compartment and wear the dress on the flight.

If anyone asks, just start crying. That'll shut them up. :)
  • CFCCFC
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the airline and aircraft. KLM let me take mine on as checked hand luggage - I took it through to the flight steps in it's box and then they put it individually into the hold on top of all the already packed hold luggage, then got it out the other end the same way, it was fine.
  • i bought a separate hard suitcase & made sure EVERYONE knew what was inside so that they looked after it in the airport & on the flight
  • AgutkaAgutka Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    I bought one of these boxes (ebay), which was hand luggage sized (magically fitted my huge heavy dress). Also phoned the airline and they were very helpful, offering to hang it up if necessary. I had it with me at all times and seperate hand luggage too. I then had the dress pressed for pennies and the hotel took care of the rest - it was beautifully hanged over a sheet in my room, ready for the wedding. Good luck!!
    :wall:
  • jazzyjustlawjazzyjustlaw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    janine wrote:
    Hi

I'm getting married in Cyprus too, we leave in just over 3 weeks!!! I had bought a case especially for my dress but unfortunately I only realised 2 days ago that it's a few cm's too big. So I am either going to have to bite my nails the whole journey and let it go in the hold or find an alternative means to take into the cabin with me.

I am so glad you've posted this, I shall be watching it for the responses you get.

Where are you getting married, our wedding is in Paphos.

Janine

I am getting married in Paphos through First Choice, they have been amazing. What about you, where are you staying - I bet you are so excited. I would love to see your dress!! We purchased a wedding package and I have no idea how this all works!! You must tell me all when you return.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • jazzyjustlawjazzyjustlaw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone would love to know what size cases you all had. I think as I have purchased a wedding package I may be able to take in on as hand luggage and believe me I will cry if I cant - I will feel quite emotional. I am quite astonished how attached I am to my dress lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals