go back to days of yore

Comments

• Wishfairy
    Wishfairy Posts: 65 Forumite
    Oh yum... my kids love pea and ham soup with homemade crusty rolls.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh yum... my kids love pea and ham soup with homemade crusty rolls.

;DYou could smell this ham half way down the street, it was a lovely homely smell................can't stand the smell of it now though ;D
    Mind you the house always smelt of some sort of cooking....................sometimes she would be up at 4am cooking rock cakes for all us kids,don't suppose she had much choice ther was a lot of mouths to feed ;D ;D
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    when I think of my gran shes always standing in the kitchen!! she lived in there I think,

8 kids umpteen grandkids and a tiny kitchen with 2 shelves a cooker and a sink and drainer, spotlessly clean and Ill tell you what, fabulous food came out of that kitchen, much much nicer than out of my highly expensive fitted one full to the brim with labour saving devices that Ive had to work my socks off to pay for!! ???
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds lovely ;DWhat I remember is the pinny..she never seemed to take it off :)
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yes the cross over pinny !!  never without it, then in the 60s  she went all trendy and got an overall.

remember the smell of umpteen sunday roasts when you were a kid??

that woman in the 1940s house looked at Margueritte Patten when she was showing her how to make a cake and said

"Ive never cooked a meal or made a cake in my life"

what a wife ! what a mother!!

she even ate the kids food didnt she one day??
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah proper Hilda Ogden pinny and always something on the stone ;D
    It was fascinating that series :)
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What a marvellous marvellous tip.

There is a lot to be said for revisiting what our parents and grandparents cooked, as the idea of economical use of seasonal vegetables and cheaper cuts of meat was really engrained into everything they did - these days there is such a profusion of the best cuts and whatever vegetable you want whenever you want it, that you tend not to think about what you're doing or what you buy.

And there was nothing ever quite as good as the leftovers of leftovers soup my Dad used to make on Saturday!
  • flossie_2
    flossie_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    This is brilliant! Since I stopped work I've got into the habit of nipping to Tesco every day - never thought whether I was spending more till my daughter questioned my shopping habits! I do take advantage of bogofs and other bargains (as the toilet rolls in the linen cupboard will testify), but like others, I go out for some bread and end spending £20.

Made a promise to myself to adopt some of the tips on here when shopping. Also, as soon as my new kitchen is finished, my cooking habits will improve ;) Too many convenience foods having to be used right now as we have minimal facilities, but look out ... things are gonna change round here. :P
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    honestly, if you get a lb of mince make chilli with half of it and spaghetti bologneise with the other half

theres 2 meals for a 99p tray of mince

add the same quantities of lentils or oats to it and you double it up

a ham shank can do a lovely meal with spuds and cabbage then the bone and the water you cook the cabbage and spuds in plus the ham water can make a wonderful pan of soup add afrozen bag of casserole mix veg and some split peas

and so on

;D ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My gran swore theres very little part of a veg you cant eat. She never peeled carrots just scrubed them, same with potatoes, outer cabbage leaves were frozen, along with any other scraps from veg like onion skins, and chicken bones then made in to broth or stock or something like that. She never bought bisto, always gravy browning and used the juices from the meat, and our xmas pudding always had carrots in to bulk it up, and it was delicious, far better than any shop bought one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure