Real life MMD: Should I charge my bro?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Kimm3000
    Options
    I see this as an interesting one and have signed up just to make a post.

Im a Gas Engineer to trade and do many favours for friends relatives and friends of friends and to be honest it depends on the person your doing the favour for regardless if its a relative or not.

Ive been in situations many times where I have been ripped off by a family members etc for a "favour". So if your going to charge him let him know before hand and write up an agreement so that your not putting either yourself or him in an embarrassing position.

Take care!
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    "My brother's asked me to do his PPI claim for him. I was thinking of asking for 10% of the money he'll get back. Do you think I should charge more? Is it worthwhile for me?"

No, It isn't worthwhile for you.
    You can ask all you like, but chances are you won't see anything like 10% of the money.
    Whatever you recover for him in this exercise, he will be disappointed it wasn't more.

I haven't done a PPI claim (yet) -I've seen my #2 daughter's paperwork and it looks like a lot of sorting through her statements to calculate the amount. At least a day's careful work.

Before Christmas I wrote off to claim the uniform allowance for my #1 daughter, explaining to her that it would only be a small amount. When the tax office checked back the 6 years, she had overpaid tax (separate from uniform claim). She received a cheque for over £350 - a substantial amount for either of us. Out of that, she gave me £10 for Christmas.

For my adult children I do this, as financial 'first aid' - but not for my sibling / sister. Send him the links to the MSE page and expect him to do it himself.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Options
    lclark wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people assumed the person asking the moral dilema question is male. I assumed it was a female but I am a female myself so maybe that's why. The question poser never states what sex she ;-) is, she simply talks about having a brother.

Nothing to do with the question, sorry about that. It just struck me as very interesting when I read the first post referring to the question poser as a he and I wondered for a split second who 'he' was. I had to go back and read the dilema again as I'd been so sure it was a girl. Weird the way our minds work.

For my penny's worth I was initially shocked when I read the dilema that he/she/it would ever dream of charging her brother. Having read all the posts I guess some people do have a point. I still think you shouldn't charge though. If they are really not close siblings then why is he asking for her help in the first place.

And that's exactly the point! Some people are shamelessly used by relatives showing a complete indifference.

An opinion is worthless, unless being put to the test by a 'user'.

Found your post most thoughtful by the way. :T
  • DaveCamelon
    Options
    He's your Brother. Are you taking the Mirth? Did you also charge him for your Time when he was naive enough to ask for Help in the first Place ?

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE !
  • john11dogs
    Options
    No you greedy !!!!!!!, he's your brother isn't he? Do it for nowt.
  • kondormid
    Options
    fix the fee at 4 tins of beer or a bottle of cheap wine. If you don't drink then start.
  • Singlemummy_2
    Options
    I really think it depends if this is your normal job and if you feel it is appropriate to charge him.

My brother is a tradesman, he lives at home with our mum and has recenlty done up her kitchen (knocked two rooms into one, completely changed the kitchen, tiled floors, walls, fit kitchen, island, etc etc) and my mum paid him for the work (outside of his 9-5 job). Ok not at teh rate she would pay someone else, but still...

Likewise, he has lasty week tiled my kitchen floor and will be fitting new worktops and changing the doors on my kitchen and I am paying him (again, not as much as I would pay someone say out of yellow pages, but it his job and he deserves to be paid for his time)

So, if this is your normal job, and he is asking you, then I think it is reasonable to charge him less, but to be honest, if you are doing it as a favour because he cant do it for whatever reason, then I wouldn't charge him!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poor OP.
    We don't know if he's a claims handler (& can we blame him for not saying?!)
    We don't know if his brother is comfortably off, or desperate for money.
    We don't know if his brother is literate, numerate, or speaks English as a second language.
    Yet we are willing to post in judgement.

Money is a short term thing. Siblings (& grudges) last for a Long Time.

By all means offer help. I wouldn't count on a financial reward, but would hope for a friendly grin to offset various sibling peccadillos in the past. In the gentle art of not keeping a tally, this one's a "do it for the kharma" job! :A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure