Real life MMD: Should I charge my bro?

Options

Comments

• pitry
    pitry Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2012 at 7:33PM
    Options
    After I moved to England from Italy in 1997 my family assumed that I had a great job (back then at £2.98 per hour) and over the years I "lent (& never to be seen again)" lots of money, always been the one to travel home to see them and always called them, they also relied on me for advice and support by playing the guilt trip.
    After 15 years I have learnt the lesson and now my dad calls me, my mum texts me and my younger sister does whatever she wants because I had enough of being taken for a fool. I realized that I was away from the eyes and therefore away from the heart and they preferred to spend whatever money they had on personal gratifications than finding out how's my job search or health.

I am surprised by how many judgemental people are on this board. Not everyone has a close knit family (like my partners) and if that were any of my sisters I will definitely charge them something, based on the amount of time I'll be spending on filling in forms, replying to letter etc.

I thought this forum was to support people, not to point fingers at the most OMG case, no one knows the full story anyway!
  • paulah1007
    Options
    Seriously!!

Don't even think about it, he's family
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    get him to buy you a pint and be happy with it
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • monclean
    Options
    It is a criminal offence to charge someone for a service like this. If you are going to charge a fee, then you need to be registered under the Ministry of Justice as a claims management company.

The process of claiming ppi back is easy enough to do. There is nothing stopping you giving him advice.
  • kelly2180
    Options
    If my brother was asking me for help I wouldn't charge him! Family are so important in life. You give them what you can without the expectation of something in return.
  • milvusvestal
    Options
    Are you real? Just how mercenary can you get?

PPI claims don't require professional assistance, they're that simple to make. There is no possible justification to charge your brother - yes, your BROTHER - anything at all. He's part of your family, for whom you would, within reason, do anything for nothing. Or isn't your family like that?
  • no-brainer_3
    no-brainer_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2012 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Absolutely not!! This makes you no better than those awful 'ambulance chasing' firms who take a cut for doing the complaint the customer could so easily have done themselves. If your brother doesn't have a form yet, he can simply send a letter stating no more than 'I was mis-sold my PPI'. The insurer is OBLIGED to treat that as a sales complaint. If he's been sent a form to complete, it should be user friendly. I recommend your brother by-passes you and calls the firm to tell them he finds it complicated and be talked through it. Or, goes to the CAB. Shame on you.
  • budgiefatboy
    budgiefatboy Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 February 2012 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Well if you call yourself a small business and pay vat and so on then you could block out the fact he's your brother and charge him, but other than that NO,,,,,,, i wouldnt charge my bro..
  • Uplink
    Uplink Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm with the "if he's a user, charge him" people. I got trapped in the provider trap and it was really hard to get out of it. I call my family "hamsters", because they always seem to need my help, but otherwise they couldn't help me with anything if I ever needed help. It's like they're pets: they have needs and I have to provide without asking questions. So I'm the hamster caretaker of sorts.

If my brother, sister or mother asked me to do legwork for them, I'd charge them. I'd probably not see any money though, 'cause such are things. I'd help my dad if he need help, but he's dead now. That's what happens to nice people...
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No

HTH's

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport