New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Sainsbury's food label switch could save shoppers money

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
27 replies 3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"New labelling from Sainsbury's which aims to encourage people to freeze more food could prevent unnecessary waste ..."

Replies

• richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be just easier for there to be a ban on volume promotions, ie 2 for £5 or £2.75 each, just make the item £2.50 each and then there would be no need to freeze the second item.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • About time too! Common sense seem to be the one item missing from food labelling.
    Anyway, those like me and the missus who were growing up during or shortly after WW2 probably need no advice on not wasting food.
  • richardw wrote: »
    It would be just easier for there to be a ban on volume promotions, ie 2 for £5 or £2.75 each, just make the item £2.50 each and then there would be no need to freeze the second item.

I sort of understand what you're saying, but no-one is forced to buy more than one of anything they buy.
    If you haven't got freezer room, just buy one of the item you want.
    e.g Sometimes on the BOGOF satsuma packs, I only have 1 pack because I don't want to waste food. I've not lost out as such on price, - I have made that choice becaude I don't want to waste food.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, nobody is forced, but all these incentives to purchase more is leading to food waste.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • LynseyLynsey Forumite
    9.5K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Dina_Lady wrote: »
    Sometimes on the BOGOF satsuma packs, I only have 1 pack because I don't want to waste food. I've not lost out as such on price, - I have made that choice becaude I don't want to waste food.

Why do you not take the "free" one and donate it??
    Someone else could maybe do the same in return??

If something is BOGOF, BOG2F etc, I take the lot. They are generally over-priced anyway if buying a single pack when this offer is on, that in itself is a waste - a waste of money.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • oldvicaroldvicar Forumite
    1.1K posts
    The "W" in WRAP stands for Waste, not Water
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why did they say "Freeze on day of purchase" in the first place?
  • So why did they say "Freeze on day of purchase" in the first place?

I've always thought this was just another example of misleading labels. Let's face it, if a shop puts out 100 packs of bacon on a Monday (all with the same use by date for argument's sake) and I buy a pack on Monday with you buying a pack on the Friday, we are both being told to freeze on the day of purchase! What's the urgency for me to freeze the bacon when it doesn't become urgent for you until the Friday?

Drives me mad this one :D
    DFW Nerd Club # 1364
  • esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always ignored the "freeze on day of purchase" advice. It's daft to think that keeping something refrigerated in a shop is any different to being refrigerated at home.

In any case, when you go to the freezer and see something that can be frozen for up to a month, unless you've carefully applied your own label, the only date you have to go on is the "use by date"... So I'm sure most people would just add a month to that to work out by when food needs to be used.
  • BlondeHeadOnBlondeHeadOn Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always used to ignore this instruction anyway, as I thought it was daft - I put things in the fridge, and if we haven't already eaten them by their 'use by' date I will then stick them in freezer on that date.

Can't believe anyone ever followed this 'freeze on day of purchase' instuction, to be honest....
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support