Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Savings diary - the key to my dreams

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Savings diary - the key to my dreams

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
8 replies 2.2K views
jencolescottjencolescott Forumite
48 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
Hey everyone,

Im using this site (which I love so much) to start a savings diary in order to help me accomplish my dreams so here goes :-

The dream is to try this year for another baby and then to move house next year in time for the perfect family christmas in a new house.

So im going to log my progress here to keep me motivated.

Im just starting out and I have saved £500 last month :) Should be able to save more next month although ive got to pay the rest our our holiday and also a golf trip for the OH. Good job ive done lots of overtime as has hubbie. :T

So looking at my savings plan I should be able to put away around £960 next month (will defo try and round this up to the £1k mark)

Another short month from feb to March so thats good news :)

Unfortunately the overtime in my work is running dry so march will be my last wage with lots of extra pennies :(

Altho hubbie may have a chance to work overtime this weekend again, fingers crossed.

Also trying to pay off debts as well as decorate the house in this timescale also.

We will be completely debt free by Oct next year. I know lots of people say we should put all our spare cash into paying off debts but i really am happy with just paying the set amount each month even though i know im wasting money in interest.

Aw well wish me luck everyone.:)
Mortgage deposit target April £9000
New mortgage deposit target May £8000 to go

Replies

• KerfuffleKerfuffle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi jencolescott,

Just want to wish you all the best with your challenge.

Having a plan is half the battle ;)

If you haven't already, take a look at the Old Style threads, there are lots of tips and challenges to help with the pesky pennies. :rotfl:

ETA: I see you're part of the Grocery Challenge, well done.
  • Kerfuffle wrote: »
    Hi jencolescott,

Just want to wish you all the best with your challenge.

Having a plan is half the battle ;)

If you haven't already, take a look at the Old Style threads, there are lots of tips and challenges to help with the pesky pennies. :rotfl:

ETA: I see you're part of the Grocery Challenge, well done.

Thanks so much,

Just think having somewhere to write it all down will motivate me :)

Theres always so much other expense that happens on a monthly basis that takes away from saving but i definately have a more relaxed approach to it and feel like for the first time in my life im very much in control of my money.

The plan is to finish the bathroom in Feb which i reckon will cost around £200 -£300 to finish off. Need to paint, get new blind, shower screen and pay the tiler, painter. (Mite paint myself to save money here)

Just decided that the budget will be £200 to finish the bathroom. Definately sticking to it :)
  • Okay so the plan for today is:-

Softplay in the afternoon with my friend and her little boy. I arranged it for the afternoon so we could have our lunch before we went thus saving money :) I reckon its around 3quid to get into the softplay (which im going to get from taking coins to the coinstar at asda, as we have lots of spare change in our tin)

Also going to the cinema tonight with my cousin. Orange wed's tho so should not cost anymore than £10. And going to have my dinner before I go also :)

Hopefully my coinstar money will be enough for softplay, and cinema :) That would really constitute a No spend day in my book :)

Fingers crossed :)

Il update later
  • Okay,

Little update from yesterday. Went to the softplay which my friend paid for. We then went to mcds which i paid for (£6) Then to round of our wee day we went to the park with the boys.

I then went to the cinema at night and was tempted by some sweets and I gave in :( lol!!!

So all in all a grand spending of £21 for the day. I suppose not bad considering i went to the cinema, got a mcds and softplay.

Worked out also that I have just paid off another debt. I now own my plasma tv wohoo. Should never have taken that out on credit. Ive so learned my lesson from all these situations. I am never taking anything out on credit again. You end up being totally robbed :( Not good.

Also realised that we have a spare 100+ in hubbies account but Im not going to save this Im going to use it to buy a shower screen for the bath and also paint for the bathroom and a wee mural for the wall :)

Really enjoying logging my progress here its keeping me motivated :)

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that hubbie might get to work the weekend this week again which wld mean 3 weekends and a standby all in his march wage. The taxman will eat him alive tho !!!!
  • Well hubbie got one of his weekend wages in the next payday and it was a little dissappointing. His work are always a nightmare at paying him wrong. Looks like he didnt get as much as he was expecting so hes going to speak to them on Mon. We shall see.

And the spare 100+ in his account is now at £90 due to mobile phone bill coming off (opps id forgot to add this)

Aw well £90 should still cover the stuff I need for the bathroom and Ive just decided to paint it myself. I think il be able to do a good enough job. :)

Going to go and get the stuff for the bathroom on my day off on Wednesday. Then Ill make a start on it soonish. Need to find a nice paint to go with the tiles which is difficult as they are a strange colour of cream.

Im thinking it might be a good idea to order the showerscreen on Wed too as I dont want to order it just now and then something else comes off the account that I hadnt thought off.

Also got another birthday to add on to this month boohooo. Aw well £20 should cover it.
  • Well a little pay update from me :)

Put a further £500 into my savings so thats us up to £1000. We are so rubbish at saving so it feels good to have some money away. In the back of my mind though something is telling me to sort out these 2 overdrafts that we have (This might need to be sorted very soon which means not putting so much money into our savings which Im ok with, putting something away is better than nothing right?) Ahhhh and the house needs some jobs doing to it as its driving me bonkers, it aint that bad I just want it all redecorated. Why cant money grow on trees?
  • kev.skev.s Forumite
    513 posts
    Well a little pay update from me :)

Put a further £500 into my savings so thats us up to £1000. We are so rubbish at saving so it feels good to have some money away. In the back of my mind though something is telling me to sort out these 2 overdrafts that we have (This might need to be sorted very soon which means not putting so much money into our savings which Im ok with, putting something away is better than nothing right?) Ahhhh and the house needs some jobs doing to it as its driving me bonkers, it aint that bad I just want it all redecorated. Why cant money grow on trees?

great news, in my younger days i never was great a saving, always wanted things now & paid later, nowadays i enjoy actually saving my money, credit is never good if it gets hold of you...you're doing great so keep up the good work..if your upates keep you motivated then fire away..:T
  • kev.s wrote: »
    great news, in my younger days i never was great a saving, always wanted things now & paid later, nowadays i enjoy actually saving my money, credit is never good if it gets hold of you...you're doing great so keep up the good work..if your upates keep you motivated then fire away..:T

Thanks for the support. Yeh I guess we learn as time goes on. Although i dont want saving money to take over my life I think its important to have spare money away incase.

Enjoying the saving journey so far and we shall see what the outcome is. :) Hopefully a new house is on that list eventually. Just need to be sure that it is worth it :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support