Credit Card = Credit Rating??

Options
2»

Comments

• sinizterguy
    Options
    Yep. Having a credit card and using it a little bit and paying it off every month improves credit rating.

Couple of years back, they wouldnt even give me a phone contract. Now I am automatically approved without having to be referred all over the place. The only 2 things I did are used my parents address (so that I didnt have to change it every year while I was a student) and used my credit card regularly and ensured that I did not miss any payments.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely apply to NatWest for the student card, but dont set up the direct debit. Just pay it off in full yourself by taking the credit card statement into the branch.

By the way, if you have a mobile phone on contract then that should show on your credit file and will also help show you are a responsible borrower.
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would set up the direct debit for the minimum(If that is the only option) and take the statement to the branch to pay off the remainder each month.
    At least there won't be late fee's if you don't make it into the branch on time.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure