captial One phone calls

Options
swebb
swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
My wife has a capital one card (for about 2 years now). We are getting phone calls - lots of them. We have caller display on our phone. I'd say we get 2 or 3 a day (we are usually not in to take them). I just answered one (always 0800 number) and they ask for my wife to ring them. A while ago they asked for my wife to urgently ring back. She did and it was about selling something or other, so not urgent in our eyes (therefore she's not keen on ringing back). On that occasion she asked why all the calls. They said it was to keep her informed of the latest products etc. She asked for the calls to stop but they said this is part of the service.

Has anyone had the same experience? Is there a way of stopping this?

Comments

• topbanana2803
    Options
    I have been a Capital One cardholder for 3 years and have never had a call from them.
    Call 08009525102 - complaints or 08009525354 - customer care and tell them to remove your phone number from calling lists and stop calling or you will take your business elsewhere.
    :j CRAZY NUTTER NO 16 :j
    :T MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES NO 15 :T
    Since Jan 2007
    Quidco £294, Not smoking £284, Tesco stamps £32, Wilkos £4
    Weight loss start date/weight 1st Feb - 15st 10lb
    Today 12th Mar - 14st 13lb
    vik6525 you are my inspiration xx
  • jenchin66
    Options
    I used to have a Capital one card a year or so back, they used to call about once a month with different offers, usually offering laons! Havent had a call for months now though
    Pad, started 28.11.08 running total £3674.91:T
    Sealed pot challenge member 346:T
  • hk_chick
    Options
    Not had calls on sales from them, though I did have a problem with them several months ago. I called them to inform them I would have a problem paying my full amount & arranged part payment. I gave them the date it would be paid & account up to date, so keeping them well informed of the situation.

They then proceeded to call me on a daily basis to ask when I would be settling my arrears & had to go through the whole thing each time. Was pretty fed up by the end of it (1 month)

have just got my m&s application to sign to transfer my balance, so I'll be free of their hard sell tactics & extorniate interest rates
    This year, I will mainly be kicking some serious money saving butt! :D
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    swebb wrote:
    My wife has a capital one card (for about 2 years now). We are getting phone calls - lots of them. We have caller display on our phone. I'd say we get 2 or 3 a day (we are usually not in to take them). I just answered one (always 0800 number) and they ask for my wife to ring them. A while ago they asked for my wife to urgently ring back. She did and it was about selling something or other, so not urgent in our eyes (therefore she's not keen on ringing back). On that occasion she asked why all the calls. They said it was to keep her informed of the latest products etc. She asked for the calls to stop but they said this is part of the service.

Has anyone had the same experience? Is there a way of stopping this?

Just tell them you don't want any sales calls.

I used to get MSDW phoning me at work to tell me about their wonderfull balance transfer rates despite telling them I did not have an outstanding balance on any of my cards. In the end I said I did not want to receive any sales calls and they stopped and have never bothered me again.
    :D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't remember when, I did receive phone call from them. First, they would ask "is it Mr XX?", I said "Yes", then they would ask my day of birth, mother name. I told them, I would not disclose my personal details on the phone. And ask them to put everything in writing to me on the post. I also mentioned that my English was not good enough to deal with something so important on the phone. And it works.
  • swebb
    Options
    We've had 6 calls today. My wife answered the latest one just a short while ago. They asked for her date of birth and mother's maiden name. My wife refused (they said can she ring back, my wife quieried this and she would still need to give the same confidential details; so why would she ring back?!) and asked them to stop ringing. She was told that they will keep ringing and put the phone down!

She is going to write a letter asking them to stop bothering us.
  • jamalfatty
    Options
    Register your telephone number here http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Then when they phone again, tell them you will be making a formal complaint if they call you again. The calls will soon stop.

I also like to ask anyone who calls me with an unsolicited call to give me there home telephone number and name so that I can call them back at a most inappropriate time to discuss there amazing offers. They soon get off the phone.
  • swebb
    Options
    Had another call this evening. This time they put the phone down on me!
  • SparciaM
    Options
    sweeb why don't u call them every hour for 1 day on:

08009525102 - complaints or 08009525354 - customer care

and see how they like it. It's freephone so wont cost you anything.

Just call complaining about the calls and they must stop and then call again 1hr to make sure it's done.

I did this with BT. I spent all Sunday hungover asking them to stop calling. Every 1hr I got a different person and supposedly the calls stopped, then at 2pm (after 4 calls from me to them) I got 4 calls in a row, so called every 30 mins from my bed watching a DVD and by 6pm they'd had enough and I've never heard from them since :rotfl:
  • si1503
    si1503 Posts: 551 Forumite
    Options
    jamalfatty wrote:
    Register your telephone number here http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Then when they phone again, tell them you will be making a formal complaint if they call you again. The calls will soon stop.
    Good call. Tell them you are registered with TPS, they will have to leave you alone, if not they are breaking the law and you can take action against them.

"The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organisations, including charities and voluntary organisations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

You can either do this by contacting companies directly and asking them not to call you or you can register with a central register - the TPS."

Also I'd complain to Cap One themselves, don't just write a letter asking them to stop, actually make a formal complaint about them being rude and hanging up on you, that is most certainly against their good customer service policy and action should be taken against those that have being calling your number (one would hope!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure