Appeal against redundancy decision - help!

My husband was given a notice of Risk of Redundancy on 11/01/2012. He was given the reason of his role being diminished - despite a record year at this multi-million pound company and staff still being taken on in his department in December. (no cease of work) He had one other person in the department doing the same role - same title but he was not up for redundancy.
He had worked there for 15 years with a breakof 9 months at 8 years. His skill set was not looked- nor was he helped by his manager , during the 15 day notice to find alternate employmnet within the company . He was therefore made redundant on the 25th Jan. He was told one figure of redundancy payout in the 2 week period - bot when opening his letter on the day the figure was not the one mentioned much lower.
He wishes to appeal against the decision and has sought help from CB and ACAS but it is hard to get appointments in such a short timeframe.

My question at this point is... the company has given him 5 days to appeal the decision.Is this right? We are worried that the letter we have written together stating unfair dismissal and the wish to appeal would have to state all the facts that he wishes to raise at a tribunal.
Should we seek solicitor advice and have them send a letter for us ( we have read we have 3 months to appeal the decision) and ignore the companys 5 day rule? Or give a letter in tomorrow stating - Yes I am appealing - but give no more than that at this stage until we have our ACAS appointment . We dont want to get it wrong.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    was the breal a full break in service or a break whike still ounder contract?

If a proper break then only the latter seervice counts for redundancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure