Cinema Only Free Tickets Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Brecon_Beacons
    Brecon_Beacons Posts: 90 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2015 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Went to see Kingsman: the Secret Service on Monday.

Wow, are they giving a lot of tickets away for this film - so many previews! Are they worried it won't be a hit?

They needn't be - I think it will - but, like Marmite, some will adore it, some won't, and I've the feeling that the divide will be age-related.

This film is basically a re-hash of the Bond action-film genre for the digital games-playing generation - with nods to Tarantino (and Matthew Vaughan's previous films) thrown in.

Colin Firth plays the stereotypical 'English gentleman spy', who recruits a Sarf-Lunden street kid (Taron Egerton) into a 'save-the-world' plot that comes straight from the pages of a comic book.

There are some brilliant actors in this film: Firth, Michael Caine, Mark Strong, Samuel L. Jackson. Most surprising of all was Mark Hamill (a very aged Luke Skywalker!) who turns up in the first scene as a Science professor. I would never have known it was him, without the credits!

The established actors have fun playing with a variety of accents - with varying degrees of success. Caine plays 'posh', Strong adopts a Scots accent, Jackson does a camp performance as the villain with a speech impairment and a fear of blood and gore - definitely out of place, with the body parts and guts count in this film.

Taron Egerton is the most passable of them - hailing from North Wales, he does a very creditable imitation of the Jamaican/Estuary English patois now commonly spoken by all under 30 south of the River.

The plot: well what can I say. It's very fast paced so you don't notice (or mind?) the holes in it. Good production values, good photography. The 'set piece' action scenes were way too much like a computer game for my liking - but I accept that most people under 40 will be happy and comfortable with exploding heads, or people being sliced in two by a disabled person's running 'blades' that have been sharpened to a lethal weapon.

There's a level of crudity (well known to previous Vaughan films) that stops this from being a classy piece of enjoyment. To me, it breaks the suspension of disbelief to show a 'serious' scene and then drop a sexual joke or crude quip into it. But I know that many are happy with this, and demand no more from a night's entertainment.

Bond it isn't - but it's still entertainment. I can well imagine there will be sequels. Buy your popcorn, go and enjoy - just don't expect high art!
  • LouFace
    LouFace Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2015 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Went to see Kingsman: the Secret Service on Monday.

Wow, are they giving a lot of tickets away for this film - so many previews! Are they worried it won't be a hit?

They needn't be - I think it will - but, like Marmite, some will adore it, some won't, and I've the feeling that the divide will be age-related.

This film is basically a re-hash of the Bond action-film genre for the digital games-playing generation - with nods to Tarantino (and Matthew Vaughan's previous films) thrown in.

Colin Firth plays the stereotypical 'English gentleman spy', who recruits a Sarf-Lunden street kid (Taron Egerton) into a 'save-the-world' plot that comes straight from the pages of a comic book.

There are some brilliant actors in this film: Firth, Michael Caine, Mark Strong, Samuel L. Jackson. Most surprising of all was Mark Hamill (a very aged Luke Skywalker!) who turns up in the first scene as a Science professor. I would never have known it was him, without the credits!

The established actors have fun playing with a variety of accents - with varying degrees of success. Caine plays 'posh', Strong adopts a Scots accent, Jackson does a camp performance as the villain with a speech impairment and a fear of blood and gore - definitely out of place, with the body parts and guts count in this film.

Taron Egerton is the most passable of them - hailing from North Wales, he does a very creditable imitation of the Jamaican/Estuary English patois now commonly spoken by all under 30 south of the River.

The plot: well what can I say. It's very fast paced so you don't notice (or mind?) the holes in it. Good production values, good photography. The 'set piece' action scenes were way too much like a computer game for my liking - but I accept that most people under 40 will be happy and comfortable with exploding heads, or people being sliced in two by a disabled person's running 'blades' that have been sharpened to a lethal weapon.

There's a level of crudity (well known to previous Vaughan films) that stops this from being a classy piece of enjoyment. To me, it breaks the suspension of disbelief to show a 'serious' scene and then drop a sexual joke or crude quip into it. But I know that many are happy with this, and demand no more from a night's entertainment.

Bond it isn't - but it's still entertainment. I can well imagine there will be sequels. Buy your popcorn, go and enjoy - just don't expect high art!

I pretty much agree. My friend loved it, I thought it was ok. (My friend also had no idea the Professor was Mark Hamill whereas I did straight away, take from that what you will. I applaud his English accent though.) Enjoyable (especially for free) but quickly forgotten.

The continuous shot in the church was very impressive but that's mostly all I took away from it. I'm sure it will make a lot of money, it's definitely a film for the Michael Bay generation.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2015 at 5:24PM
    Options
    COMING SOON !

For SUN PERKS Subscribers

TWO NIGHT STAND

1421852506_ScreenShot2015-01-21at14.59.16.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140619

Certificate 15
    Tuesday 10th February
    18:00 for 18:30

Locations (possibly subject to change)

Ashford
    Birmingham
    Boldon Tyne And Wear
    Bradford
    Bristol
    Cardiff
    Chichester
    Enfield
    Glasgow - Renfrew Street
    Greenwich - The O2
    Ipswich
    London Wandsworth
    Manchester - Didsbury
    Middlesbrough
    Milton Keynes
    Nottingham
    Sheffield
    Stevenage

http://perks.thesun.co.uk/public-perks/sunscreening-two-night-stand

BOOKING OPENS at 00.00 on January 30, 2015

A no-strings-attached, online hook-up turns into a morning after disaster for twenty-something New Yorkers Alec (BAFTA-nominated Miles Teller: Whiplash, Divergent) and Megan (Analeigh Tipton: Lucy, Crazy Stupid Love) when a paralyzing blizzard hits the city, trapping the couple in Alec’s cramped Brooklyn apartment. Like it or not, they are forced to get to know each other far beyond the confines of a typical one-night stand.

With blisteringly funny dialogue, outstanding performances and a truly romantic story of love in the digital age.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • quoia
    Options
    COMING SOON !

For SUN PERKS Subscribers

PROJECT ALMANAC

1421851890_ScreenShot2015-01-21at14.48.19.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2436386

Certificate 12A
    Thursday 19th February
    18:00 for 18:30

Locations TBA

A brilliant high school student and his friends uncover blueprints for a mysterious device with limitless potential, it's the secret plans of a time machine and they construct one.
    However, things start to get out of control, inadvertently putting lives in danger.

(11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought Two Night Stand was already out as it's on a couple of not so legal streaming sites already.

Miles is getting himself around at the moment isn't he!
  • quoia
    Options
    I thought Two Night Stand was already out as it's on a couple of not so legal streaming sites already.

Miles is getting himself around at the moment isn't he!

"Everywhere else" in the world yes.

Official UK release is 13th Feb

• geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    "Everywhere else" in the world yes.

Official UK release is 13th Feb

Good point, didn't think of that :)
  • quoia
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    Preliminary list of locations

and it's just possible that this might be held on Saturday 31st January instead.

Birmingham Broadway Plaza
    Bluewater
    Brighton
    Bristol - Cinema De Lux
    Cardiff
    Colchester
    Derby - Cinema De Lux
    Dudley
    Edinburgh Wester Hailes
    Glasgow Quay
    Kingston-Upon-Thames
    Lee Valley
    Leeds
    Leeds/Bradford
    Leicester - Cinema De Lux
    Maidstone
    Manchester Printworks
    Newham
    Nottingham
    Peterborough
    Reading
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    Teesside
    Wimbledon

Looks like this will be taking place (as above) at these cinemas ....

ODEON cinemas

Birmingham
    Brighton
    Cardiff
    Colchester
    Edinburgh Wester Hailes
    Glascow Quay
    Kingston-Upon-Thames
    Lee Valley
    Leeds/Bradford
    Maidstone
    Manchester Printworks
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    Wimbledon

SHOWCASE cinemas

Bluewater
    Bristol - Cinema De Lux
    Derby - Cinema De Lux
    Dudley
    Leeds
    Leicester
    Newham
    Nottingham
    Peterborough
    Reading
    Teesside

... on SATURDAY 31st JANUARY .....

with an earlier start time of 09:45 am IF you'd like to join in the fun ...

Join us from 9:45am IN THE FOYER for face painting, balloon modelling and other fun activities!

AND you will be able to get up to FOUR TICKETS per Sun+ member

• quoia
    Options
    COMING SOON !

From SMS - STUDENT MONEY SAVER

SELMA

1422245627_Selma.JPG

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020072

A chronicle of Martin Luther King's campaign to secure equal voting rights
    via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965.

Certificate 12A
    Sunday 1st February
    10:00 for 10:30

Following locations (subject to change)

Birmingham New Street
    Bristol - Cinema De Lux
    Cardiff
    Coventry
    Leeds
    London
    Manchester Printworks
    Nottingham

PRODUCED BY OPRAH WINFREY, BRAD PITT’S COMPANY PLAN B
    (12 YEARS A SLAVE ) AND CHRISTIAN COLSON ( SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE ), THE ACCLAIMED FILM SELMA TELLS THE GRIPPING AND MOVING TRUE STORY OF THE PIVOTAL MOMENT IN DR.MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.’S EPIC CIVIL RIGHTS STRUGGLE - THE 1965 PROTEST MARCH FROM SELMA TO MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA TO SECURE VOTING RIGHTS FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS.

STARRING BRITISH ACTOR DAVID OYELOWO ( THE BUTLER, A MOST VIOLENT YEAR) AS MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. ALONGSIDE TOM WILKINSON, CARMEN EJOGO, TIM ROTH AND OPRAH WINFREY , THE 2015 RELEASE OF SELMA CELEBRATES THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PASSING OF THE VOTING RIGHTS ACT AND THIS TRIUMPHANT STORY OF THE POWER OF THE PEOPLE.

• geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know if Times+ have had movies on at any Newcastle cinemas other than Silverlink recently?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure