Can you still claim for Bank charges?

Options
Sorry for what is probably a generic thread on here but I was under the impression we (The customer) couldn't claim after the court case was lost?

Are there exceptions?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are exceptions but all rely on bank goodwill.

Typically the banks are only refunding on first time offenders (some allow one error a year) or if you meet their financial hardship criteria (priority debts, arrears etc).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mojo99
    Mojo99 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    There are exceptions but all rely on bank goodwill.

Typically the banks are only refunding on first time offenders (some allow one error a year) or if you meet their financial hardship criteria (priority debts, arrears etc).

Thanks for your reply.

So, would you suggest that I wrote them a letter, explain that I'm in financial hardship and just hope for the best?
  • Mojo99
    Mojo99 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Another question?

Can you claim back on these charges if the account has been closed longer than 6 years? This account was probably close around 8/9 years ago?

Thanks.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Can you claim back on these charges if the account has been closed longer than 6 years?

No. Financial hardship criteria looks at your current position. Not that of 8-9 years ago. You missed the boat on that one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mickzone
    Options
    what about charges where the PPI payment has taken you over your overdraft limit?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    PPI refunds are goodwill payments most of the time. Not upheld complaints. So, consequential events (such as leading to charges) dont need to be considered. Also, in reality, a PPI payment in a month is unlikely to have been the difference between you being charged or not being charged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure