HELP! Bank account has been closed

13»

Comments

• THRIFTY_JO
    THRIFTY_JO Posts: 27 Forumite
    Without trying to put a downer on it be very careful with the Co- Op Bank. We have a joint account with them which has been open for about a year. In this time they have:
    1. Bounced our mortgage payment for being 7p over the overdraft limit becaase they didn't tell us , nor does it state anywhere, that standing orders on bank holidays will not be paid until after i.e. my partner money goes in on the 1st (from his Co Op account) but because of New Year Etc it went in on the 4th and cleared on the fifth so we were charged forbeing 7p over the limit on the fourth, plus we were charged by the mortgage company £25 for a returned direct debit. Total cost £55 :mad:

2. As the above bounced, they then bounced NTL, British Gas and one other when there were funds to pay them!
    The first I knew was when I checked the balance and hear a debit of £175 commission. Following a near hysterical break down over the phone to my partner in work and promptly embarrassing him with my rantings, I phoned the bank. As I didn't have the paperwork in front of me, they were able to bamboozle me and I had a terrible weekend until the bank statement arrived. :mad:

Once I was able to see what had happened we had an apology for NTL Britsh Gas and the other but none for the mortgage bouncing. All these companies to be very fair discussed if we needed to spread the payment, which is nice but very embarrassing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Also after adding up their subscription charges currently at £8 a month!!! and next to no interest on any credit we are moving to the Alliance and Leicester. :money:

4. It took two attempts to open a curernt account for me even though I had the joint account and I had to have another credit check.

As you can see, they don't have the best track record.
    Incidentally, I was with HSBC before and I know that their rate of interest was rubbish but they never but they never panicked me once.

Thrifty Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport