Plastic bag tax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
47 replies 3K views
BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16787121

While I am happy to accept a free paper bag (recycled of course) if any retailer tries to charge me an extra 5p for a bag they will be politely told that the deal is off!!!
«1345

Replies

  • FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering what you will do when all retailers have to charge you, where will you then do your shopping?

    I live in Wales where we already have the carrier bag charge and it is very annoying but it's not the shop's fault it's the government making them charge. More people than ever here make sure they have "bags for life" with them most of the time.

    I don't believe that the charge is entirely fair but I do work in a shop so see both sides of it, we have a lot less people asking for a bag and certainly less bags dumped in the carpark so to a degree it is working.
  • edited 30 January 2012 at 9:17PM
    Ben84Ben84 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January 2012 at 9:17PM
    I still use some disposable bags, but reusable ones are so much better as they're stronger, stuff doesn't break though them and they have handles that don't stretch and bite in to your hands. The ones with flat bases are even better as when you put them down they don't slump and send shopping rolling all over the floor. When I see people out buying large amounts of shopping with disposable flimsy bags, I wonder why put up with something that is so inconvenient and easily fixed?

    Anyway, I've had the same big sainsburys bags for about four years now they're still in good condition. I forget what they cost, it was something like 50p each and I get points for reusing them, so I suspect they've saved me a little money by now.
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Just wondering what you will do when all retailers have to charge you, where will you then do your shopping?

    I live in Wales where we already have the carrier bag charge and it is very annoying but it's not the shop's fault it's the government making them charge. More people than ever here make sure they have "bags for life" with them most of the time.

    I don't believe that the charge is entirely fair but I do work in a shop so see both sides of it, we have a lot less people asking for a bag and certainly less bags dumped in the carpark so to a degree it is working.

    If I am spending my hard earned cash, they can absorb the 5p
  • FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's my point though they can't they would be breaking the law if they paid the charge for it. There are no ways around it other than taking your own bags, you will be sorely disappointed if you thing that they will risk getting caught just to save you a few pence.

    The charge has to be paid by the customer f you don't like it take your own bags or stop shopping altogether, your only options really. And BTW paper bags recycled or not are also have to be charged for, it's all single use carriers.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    If I am spending my hard earned cash, they can absorb the 5p
    They can't, the law dictates that they must charge it. You don't pay, you don't get a bag.
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    That's my point though they can't they would be breaking the law if they paid the charge for it. There are no ways around it other than taking your own bags, you will be sorely disappointed if you thing that they will risk getting caught just to save you a few pence.

    The charge has to be paid by the customer f you don't like it take your own bags or stop shopping altogether, your only options really. And BTW paper bags recycled or not are also have to be charged for, it's all single use carriers.


    News reports today refer specifically to plastic bags
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like just one more complication for retailers and one more law to enforce. Like VAT collecting taxes like this cost quite a bit to administer especially for small retailers.
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    News reports today refer specifically to plastic bags

    I heard on the BBC local news tonight that it is for both paper and plastic bags.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Seems like just one more complication for retailers and one more law to enforce. Like VAT collecting taxes like this cost quite a bit to administer especially for small retailers.
    If it's anything like the Welsh one then the money doesn't go to the government. What is weird is that small businesses don't even have to provide official returns for the money collected. Money is donated directly to 'green' ventures.
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I think it's about time it was introduced. I've no problem reusing my plastic bags, and already do, and when the odd occasion happens when I've forgotten a bag I've no problem paying for it.

    I have to disagree with Glynn Roberts from NIIRTA
    "It's unclear if it is intended to discourage plastic bag use or if it is a revenue raiser. It has to do one or the other - it can't do both."

    I think it will successfully do both, I dont think retailers of any size should worry to much about it, people still need their shopping and unless they're going to go completely online consumers have no choice but to think ahead and plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals