Palace Theatre, Manchester - seating plan help please

Options
Carrera74
Carrera74 Posts: 790 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
edited 30 January 2012 at 8:22PM in Theatre, concert & events tickets
Hello

I am going to treat my daughter to see The Phantom of the Opera. We have wanted to go for ages but can't afford the trip to London and accommodation etc so I am soooo excited they are touring.

I've never been to the Palace and have no idea where the best seats are. There are seats still available in the stalls but to the side and I wondered if anyone here knows where to avoid?

Your help is much appreciated :))

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,839 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    there's a seating plan here;

http://www.ents24.com/web/seatingplan.html?venueid=5021

I've been to the Palace twice (once in the stalls and once in the circle) and both times I've been disappointed with the seats - they all seem to have very limited legroom, which make them very uncomfortable after a while unless you are very petite. And because each tier overhangs the next quite steeply, a lot of the seats from about half way back have quite a restricted view if anything is taking place above the stage level.

Sorry to sound negative - we may have just been unlucky. I can't remember exactly where we sitting but I think it would have been about J31/J32 in both cases - stalls and circle - and I know that when we were in the circle (to see Monkey - Journey to the West) some of the people behind us walked out because the could see so little.

The Premier Inn in Portland Street is close by if you are looking for reasonable accomodation close by.
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    I'm looking to go and see the Lion King and the seats do seem puzzling, unless you're prepared to pay mega bucks! Anyone any thoughts on seats A31&32 in the stalls?
  • MrsR1984
    Options
    I took my class to see Horrible Histories at the Palace last year, and we sat in the stalls, row Q 31+ (far right on seating plan). There were no problems with the views for me or any of the kids, and I had no problem with leg room despite being 5' 10" and having long legs.

I've also been to the Palace a number of times when I was younger to see pantos and have never had any problems with views.

For the Phantom you are best sitting in seats in the central blocks of the theatre if possible, as there are a number of scenes where the action takes place to the far left or right of the stage, which can't be seen if you sit to the far right or left of the theatre. This is a problem I've had when I went down to London to see Phantom, but it is literally sitting in the last five or six seats of each row.

Hope that helps
  • ollyc
    ollyc Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking to go and see the Lion King and the seats do seem puzzling, unless you're prepared to pay mega bucks! Anyone any thoughts on seats A31&32 in the stalls?

Are tickets on sale for this yet? I can't seem to be able to find much info about seat prices.

as for row A, it does come down to personal preference but for me it is too close - especially for a show like the this where so much is going on. Seats further back are better for getting a feel for the whole show but generally cost a bit more. I prefer the first few rows in the circle but leg room is pretty restrictive.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Phantom is amazing, you'll have a great time regardless of seat!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    ollyc wrote: »
    Are tickets on sale for this yet? I can't seem to be able to find much info about seat prices.

as for row A, it does come down to personal preference but for me it is too close - especially for a show like the this where so much is going on. Seats further back are better for getting a feel for the whole show but generally cost a bit more. I prefer the first few rows in the circle but leg room is pretty restrictive.

They go on sale at the end of the month but Disney are sending out invites to book to some of their previous customers.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I may have to opt for the £75 tickets :eek:, we need leg room for medical reasons for DD.
  • ollyc
    ollyc Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    They go on sale at the end of the month but Disney are sending out invites to book to some of their previous customers.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I may have to opt for the £75 tickets :eek:, we need leg room for medical reasons for DD.

OK cheers for that - will book in a couple of weeks.

just out of curiosity, where abouts are the £75 seats? Seems pretty steep to me! How much are the next price band. Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    OK cheers for that - will book in a couple of weeks.

just out of curiosity, where abouts are the £75 seats? Seems pretty steep to me! How much are the next price band. Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,

The £75 seats are rows A-M seats 12-34. The next tier down is £55 which are in rows O-T in centre and some of the side stall further back.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The £75 "premium" seats are based on the view, not better legroom.

Contact the theatre and explain you have medical/access problems and they may help if extra legroom seats are available
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Are tickets on sale for this yet? .

Lion King are on sale now to "friends/atg cardholders", if you know anyone who has one - (or buy one £30 for a year - should pay for itself over the year if you can take advantage of their half price ticket offers, though none available for LK at Manchester).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure