Long distance relationships

Options
Hi,

Any ideas greatly appreciated on this. I live in Bedfordshire and work in London, my partner lives in Manchester with her two children.

I rent off a friend and have bad credit and no savings so the odds of getting a mortgage are slim.I'm a keyworker and get free rail travel as far north as Peterborough or Northampton.

My partner rents from housing association, we've looked at swapping her house but cant find anyone willing too.

Has anyone got any tips on how we can live together, or I can be closer to Manchester?

Comments

• ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you get a job where she lives?
  • CarlosJD
    Options
    No ones recruiting up there at the minute and arent likely to be for a long time.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    Would you be willing to move if you could find a job? What kind of work do you do?
    I think the only way to be closer to Manchester is to get a job closer.
    Hopefully she'll be able to get a house swap - could she widen the area she's willing to move to in order to increase the chances?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The job situation in Manchester was grim when I was there, which was the very beginning of the recession (last quarter of 2007). London's a better bet but obviously uprooting the children is not ideal.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer, apart from to keep looking.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure