Starting a New Business Whilst Claiming JSA - Help Please ?

Hi ,

I've wanted to start a business for a while now and have been completing my business plan researching the idea ect. As I'm 21 I told my advisor that I was going to apply to the Princes Trust. However I'm told now that as I have been referred to the work program there's no courses or help available to me especially not the Princes Trust, could anyone give details of any schemes that are willing to help me whilst I'm stuck on this work program? Also when I start up I'm a bit worried about signing off as it could take a while for the business to get up on its feet is there any benefits I could claim whilst my income is very low when I'm self employed.

Many Thanks :)

Comments

• Suarez
    Suarez Posts: 970 Forumite
    Unless you have 50% of the start up costs then you will find it almost impossible to get funding.
  • cc12
    cc12 Posts: 6 Forumite
    It's not so much the funding I need, it's a very low cost start up it's more the courses and advice I need and help with money as I get established
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    What courses are you wanting to do?
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • cc12
    cc12 Posts: 6 Forumite
    The main course I want to do is a balloon decoration course which costs around 200 pound but i'd like to do bookeeping ect anything that's going to help me get started .
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    There are lots of college courses that are free or heavily subsidised if you are on benefits...contact your local colleges.

I have to be honest though and say I think you should be looking at a long term plan to set this business up properly with enough finance. That means getting a job - at least a part time one - to let you build up some cash. Presumably weddings and corporate events will be amongst your main markets so you need to present a top class image of your business. You need a website, business cards, transport and lots of others things that will eat up cash. If you can't afford a £200 course you'll struggle...sure a lot of things can be done on a small budget but it will make things impossibly difficult.

So...focus on getting a job for a year whilst using your spare time to do the courses that you need to do. If you are doing this because it is your absolute passion - and not because you want a quick way to get off the work programme - then you'll be best taking your time when starting up to make sure you do it properly.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you checked what the Job Centre have told you with the Prince's Trust? They sometimes make mistakes.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport