Does anyone else pay two line rentals?

in Phones & TV
5 replies 1.2K views
I have been a BT customer for 20 years. My calls are through TalkTalk and i pay BT line rental. I use this for all my calls.

Also have Virgin cable TV. When i had the broadband installed about 5 years ago i also had to have the virgin telephone line installed. I don't use the phone service.

I was wondering how many others are in my situation where they are paying two line rentals. Had always thought it was best to keep the BT line open in case i change my broadband provider.

Was wondering if i was to cancel my BT line rental can i carry my phone number over to Virgin?

I am unemployed at the moment. Would BT charge connection fee if i wish to reconnect in the future?
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Replies

• You should be able to move your number from your BT line to your virgin line (the process is called "porting"). To do this you would need to contact Virgin as the porting process is initiated by the gaining provider. BT should then write to you to tell you that your service is due to cease as the porting process causes the losing service to cease (they may call you as well).

If you ever needed to have your BT line reconnected you would be charged based on whether your line is still connected to the exchange equipment (called a stopped line), or whether it has been physically disconnected (ceased). Restarting a stopped line is usually free but if it has been ceased you'll pay the full reconnection fee.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You don't have to take the VM phone service in order to have TV and broadband (although they weight the pricing so that cancelling the line rental won't save you much).
    It's insane having two lines. The most that you would be charged (by BT) for reinstating a lie would be £130-other providers will charge much less. You are paying that in unused line rental every 10 months. In 5 years, it's cost you 6 times that.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    You won't save anything at all - TV comes with the phone line whether you like it or not. You can certainly decline, but the bill will not decrease as the line rental fee is fixed. They've had it like this for years and are not minded to change. Only Cable Broadband and Mobiles can be taken without a landline commitment.
  • The other problem you will have is if you are in contact with TalkTalk. TT try to get you to tie in to 12,18 or 24 months and you have to pay a termination fee based on the number of months left. You can ask them for your termination date. Do it through the talktalk members forum.
    I cancelled TT yesterday (now on VM for all services as they are doubling BB speeds in the next year, 31mb now). TT operator said that I had rang the day before to extent for another 24 months. Total fabrication and he backed down when I asked for proof. I suspect that the people on the cancellaion line are on a bonus to retain customers.
  • wazzawazza Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    cranford wrote: »
    The other problem you will have is if you are in contact with TalkTalk. TT try to get you to tie in to 12,18 or 24 months and you have to pay a termination fee based on the number of months left. You can ask them for your termination date. Do it through the talktalk members forum.
    I cancelled TT yesterday (now on VM for all services as they are doubling BB speeds in the next year, 31mb now). TT operator said that I had rang the day before to extent for another 24 months. Total fabrication and he backed down when I asked for proof. I suspect that the people on the cancellaion line are on a bonus to retain customers.

Luckily do not have a fixed contract with TT.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals