New line connection and phone/internet deal help please

in Phones & TV
7 replies 895 views
Sorry if this is the wrong place, I hope someone can help or direct me to where I need to ask.

We are moving house next week and have called BT who have told us that where we are moving to has no telephone line installed at all, so it's not a case of being able to reconnect a line

I have been trying to find a good package deal that includes line installation, phone and internet. I don't mind which company we use as long as it is reliable and meets our needs. We use the internet alot for work and download a fair amount. We don't make many calls but free evening calls would be an added bonus.

I am also aware that alot of companies need a bt line to use their services.

Please could anyone help me find a good deal, we are moving in a week and I am so confused looking through all the information about different packages :(

TIA
Comping wishlist for 2017
1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
The more you put into life, the more you get out

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Best current deal for new line installation is with post office. They install it free!!
  • Thank you Quentin, I will have a look into this. Do you have to sign up to a fixed period with them or can I then get the line switched over to someone else to to get a good deal on phone and internet?
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents :rudolf: 3. Fishing stuff
    The more you put into life, the more you get out
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    As far as their free offer ts + cs go, there is no mention of a minimum contract (for line rental).

They charge you a small sum if you leave within 6 months (£15 I think, though check first)

They will have minimum period for broadband, but you don't have to have your bb with them if you prefer another isp.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Then go to https://www.samknows.com and do an exchange search for the LLU options available on your exchange. These will be the cheapest options.
    I can't see the PO offer being around for long, once people start using it as a free line install facility and then move on straight away.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edited 28 January 2012 at 2:34PM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    edited 28 January 2012 at 2:34PM
    macman wrote: »
    I can't see the PO offer being around for long, once people start using it as a free line install facility and then move on straight away.

It says it's on to 31/3/12 on their website.

And they give you £50 credit off your phonebill too!
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No wonder they're losing so much money then...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Phones4ChrisPhones4Chris Forumite
    693 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You will not necessarily get a good installation deal from an LLU provider. There was a recent thread on this board where TalkTalk charged someone £130!
    IMHO you need to decide on what type of Broadband package you may need first - how much usage, speed etc., then see if the company that would give the best deal for that does a better package if you take phone from them, then ask what the installation cost would be.
    If you are a fairly light user and want good UK customer service, have a look at Plusnet for broadband, but get the phoneline installed first with the P.O.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals