help - pension credit have sent my mother a letter saying they will be calling

Options
my mum has received a letter today from pension credit to say that they will be calling (phone) next week to go over all her details again. She's very worried that this is a check because an error or something and she will end up losing it. Has anyone else even heard of these letters/calls? Is it just random checks they do or is there something she should be worried about? Please Help!

Comments

• rotoguys
    rotoguys Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    mic2410 wrote: »
    my mum has received a letter today from pension credit to say that they will be calling (phone) next week to go over all her details again. She's very worried that this is a check because an error or something and she will end up losing it. Has anyone else even heard of these letters/calls? Is it just random checks they do or is there something she should be worried about? Please Help!

I can't help with the reason why they are calling. But they do have the right to check and investigate the financial affairs of any recipient of a means tested benefit.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons why over 30% of all eligible pensioners refuse to claim the benefit. Too much intrusion and too many questions.
    It is seen by some as a step too far and would sooner do without it.

I claim it, not out of choice, but I was made to feel that I should. So no doubt I will be having the same inquisition in due course.
    My honest feeling if they were to demand to see me would be to tell them were to stick their benefit! But they are so thick skinned, they never seem to understand the word NO.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    rotoguys wrote: »
    I can't help with the reason why they are calling. But they do have the right to check and investigate the financial affairs of any recipient of a means tested benefit.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons why over 30% of all eligible pensioners refuse to claim the benefit. Too much intrusion and too many questions.
    It is seen by some as a step too far and would sooner do without it.

I claim it, not out of choice, but I was made to feel that I should. So no doubt I will be having the same inquisition in due course.
    My honest feeling if they were to demand to see me would be to tell them were to stick their benefit! But they are so thick skinned, they never seem to understand the word NO.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but in my experience (not me, but my mother-in-law) a home visit such as this is partly to check there has been no change in circumstances, but mainly to make sure that the perosn on pension credit is aware of and claiming for all the other passported benefits that it entitles them to (off the top of my head, things like housing benefit, council tax benefit, NHS glasses , etc ) and helping them to complete the application forms if necessary.

Rotoboys, I am sure that if you are really that keen to stop receiving these means tested benefits against your will, then a simple letter to the DWP informing them that you have had a win on the lottery and therefore not longer qualify should suffice - I'm pretty sure that they won't demand to see proof. ;)
  • jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The department are entitled to check claims periodically, usually it is simply to verify that there have been no changes, so the caller may just ask that question. Sometimes it is to check that the decision is correct. Personally I would object to giving anyone more details over the telephone, so if your mother is concerned then why don't you ask them to come to the house and maybe you or a friend can be there.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • jetplane
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    a simple letter to the DWP informing them that you have had a win on the lottery and therefore not longer qualify should suffice - I'm pretty sure that they won't demand to see proof. ;)

If the claimant has an asessed income period then even a lottery win won't stop the benefit :)

Many pensioners do not like the intrusion of claiming means tested benefit but if they refuse then they live below the minimum income level. I think the point is that many feel that the state pension should reach this minimum level to stop the intrusion of the means test.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point is that many feel that the state pension should reach this minimum level to stop the intrusion of the means test.

Then the increased pension would also go to the wealthiest of pensioners, who don't need it, so there would be less to go round for the rest of us.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2012 at 1:09PM
    Options
    david39 wrote: »
    Then the increased pension would also go to the wealthiest of pensioners, who don't need it, so there would be less to go round for the rest of us.

I guess we would be one of the wealthier pensioners as we are not entitled to pension credit.

However as we worked between the 1950's and 2002 when there was for the most part plenty of work there is no reason why most people cannot have saved to provide for themselves in retirement. Unless of course they were ill.

It was ever thus that those entitled to extra money seek to take away from those who they see as slightly better off.

Pension credit with all the add ons puts many pensioners in a more favourable financial position than those marginally not entitled.
  • jetplane
    edited 28 January 2012 at 1:15PM
    Options
    david39 wrote: »

Yes and this is the standared argument for not upping the state pension. I don't expect its cheap to administer the means test therefore it would save a lot of money in administration costs if there was no need for means testing and pension credits. But that would cost many jobs.

However I subscribe to the view that just because we don't pay it to the wealthier pensioners it doesn't seem to mean there is more of it to go around for the rest of us. :(
  • new2012
    new2012 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options

Exactly, my council tax benefit has now been reduced to £10 a month since I started to get my state pension so not worth the bother of all the form filling now.

I shall stop claiming at the start of the new tax year.
    I just want to be left alone.
  • Whiteknight
    Whiteknight Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2012 at 4:08PM
    Options
    mic2410 wrote: »

It is very likely to be a review of her circumstances, it is a lot quicker to complete the forms over the phone rather than send out forms which a lot of people have trouble completing and returning.

I would expect it to be a check on people living with her etc to ensure that she is getting the correct amount - so nothing for her to worry about.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eventually, after myOH died in January last year, DWP decided that I was entitled to Pension credit ...in the sum of £1.45 per week, with an assessed period of 3 years. At the same time, I was informed that my Council tax liability would be reduced.

I decided that I should get myself a part-time job, and did so. I phoned and reported this and said that I no longer felt entitled to such a sum - and was told that I could still claim it until the end of the 3 year period. I still refused, because I was concerned that I would finish up in a situation when I was receiving Council tax benefit that I was no longer entitled to.

Took several phone calls before the situation was resolved!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure