Stafford?

Options
Anyone have suggestions for interesting places to visit in a 20 mile radius of Stafford? (stately homes, wildlife parks, museums etc) Happy to travel further out if there is something really nice otherwise we will just spend the day in Stafford itself.

Restaurant/pub recommendations in/near Stafford would be welcome too (have heard the Soup Kitchen is good)

Comments

• mumof3plusoh
    Options
    not sure if Shugborough hall is open and how far away. Check National Trust website.
    HTH
    [SIZE=2]SPC4 #1395 Aug 11 £135.75/£150
    SPC5 #1395 Shower fund used £13.60 31/7/12 Banked Farepack administrators cheque £301 19/10/12 £326.40 in the tin....TOTAL £641
    SPC6 #1395 Total £144.62
    SPC7 # 051 Banked so far £100 TOTAL £142[/SIZE]
    SPC8 #051 £46 :(SPC9 #51 £1091.34 :T:T
  • bazza1603
    Options
    Little further out - Go every year to see my gran .

Telford way there RAF Cosford Its free entry
    Dayton Manor
    Trentham gardens...with loads of Monkeys
    Severn valley railway with links to Bridgnorth and the cliffe side railway
    Hoo Farm with pony rides.

Good Luck

Barry
  • shebangs
    shebangs Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2012 at 8:01PM
    Options
    //////////////////////////////////
  • catlad
    catlad Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    there a park im stafford near rail station the ancient high house if you dont mind going up big steps a big high st and in eccleshall there a few small shops
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Who are you ??? have you got a age ? Can you find any children to take (maybe even children are going ) ??when are you thinking of going to stafford ?? I like to help but you have to play along here . Trentham Gardens covers most bases.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • wobblegobble
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Great suggestions and plenty to investigate further.
  • Knitting_Nora
    Options
    Hi

Stafford resident until recently....so here's my tuppence worth:

If you're in Stafford itself (particularly the town centre) then the Soup Kitchen (just off the main high st) is THE place to eat in town as far as many of us are concerned - huge variety, good prices, lovely staff, and consistently good quality. Make sure you have dessert! Will say that it gets busy - not a problem once you've been seated as tables have pretty good space, but it does mean you may have to wait a little while.

There are also plenty of other places to eat in town though - inc the usual pizza express (useful for money saving vouchers etc); and The Swan if you're feeling flush. The town itself has quite a lot of history if you like that sort of thing? And I recommend a visit to the gallery on the market place - always something a bit different.

If you're parking in town, then head for one of the council-run carparks as these are quite a bit cheaper than the private ones, and there are plenty of them. While you're there (especially if you've been to the Soup Kitchen, as you'll be at the 'right end' of town), as someone has already said - walk across the road to Victoria Park (opposite the train station). It's free, and has the river running through it - lovely. It also houses a large aviary and a little palm house. Can get cold by the river this time of year though - so wrap up warm.

Shugborough is lovely (http://www.shugborough.org.uk/) but doesn't open until March for individual visitors.

Greenface is spot on with suggesting Trentham (gardens, shopping, monkey forest...) - there's a lot there, including nice places to eat (David's hasn't let me down yet), lovely gardens (though don't bother in the winter - you have to pay to go into them, and it's very bleak this time of year!), and the monkey forest is totally random, and quite expensive in my opinion, but worth seeing just once.

If you're heading out to Trentham from Stafford, then I fully recommend eating at the restaurant within Aston Marina near Stone - lovely. Of course, Stone is a really lovely canal town itself - worth a stop, especially on farmer's market day (first Sat of the month - Stafford town has the market on 2nd Sat every month).

Plenty more in the area - shout if you want more info.

Nora.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport