Touring Scotland by train , where to stay

Options
Can anyone suggest where's a good base for a holiday in Scotland when traveling by train? Fancy doing the West Highland Line so that's round about Fort William but finding it difficult to find self catering near the station. Where else would be a good place to stay where we can go out and about just by train or very short, 15 minutes max by bus.

Comments

• shark_DB
    shark_DB Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Fort William it's self is a good place to stay and explore the area i.e. Mallaig and Oban branches, then prehaps transfer to Inverness for the far north lines
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I'd take the West Highland Line to Mallaig and cross to Skye, leaving there a couple days later via the Kyle of Lochalsh for the train to Inverness. You can then take a day trip to the Orkneys by the Orkney Bus or stay longer.

If you live in the London area then consider using the Caledonian Sleeper to reach Fort William or Inverness or fly from Inverness to London
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Options
    have a fish supper in Mallaig and then as alan suggests go to skye.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    For Fort William try Corpach - its the first stop (I think) out of Fort William on the West Highland line and I think the Jacobite stops there. We had a nice little wooden cabin/lodge in the grounds of someone's house, just up the road from the station. You can also do some nice walks up the canal, get a bus into Fort William and so on.

If you are thinking of doing the West Highland by steam train (the Jacobite) then book early - its no good thinking you will pick your day when you are there as it will be fully booked. Obviously this depends when you are going as it only runs steam hauled in the summer months.
    Adventure before Dementia!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport