We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NHS help (legal matter)

Options
13»

Comments

• Purplekylie22
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    op- i really do feel for you but surgery isn't the answer, i went through the nhs process i had to go to a clinic every month for a year then they referred me to hospital where there was another 6 months of various tests, weight loss goals etc but when it came to consenting for the op i decided against it , i knew it wouldn't make a difference if my head wasnt sorted 1st so thats what im doing now , its not easy but i can see a change in my attitude to food. how would you feel with all that loose skin ? weightloss surgery doesnt sort that out .
    have you thought about hypnosis ? they do a hypno band.

I appropriate that in your circumstance you choose not to go ahead, in all honesty you were very lucky to get that far! In my circumstances this isn't the case, I have looked into surgery seriously for the past 3 years and before that I looked into it a little. I understand everything completely and for me this is the answer. I have done just about everything else possible and I have gotten no where. Loose skin - yes it would probably bother me a little, but I would be able to run around with my three children and not worry about dying at 47 like my dad did. That is more important to me that loose skin.
    I am very sure of what I need.
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
  • Purplekylie22
    Options
    pauletruth wrote: »
    op just because the nice guide lines are diffrent does not mean even if you moved south that you would get the op. they have their way of stopping you getting it.

I know, but right now there it is an option at least, they can say no, I can appeal. They at least have to refer me. Here it isn't an option at all. There is nothing I can do except talk to me MSP (which I'm doing :) )
  • Purplekylie22
    Options
    Armchair23 wrote: »
    This isn't intended as a personal remark or criticism. But I wonder if making being overweight more acceptable has it's down sides. When I was a teenagert size 16 and over were only found in 'outsize shops'. Now you can buy clothes in many high street stores that fit size 20+.
    I don't imagine any of us who are largely overweight got there in an instant but ate our way through the months and years.

Sorry this is of no help with your surgery issues. But if you can maintain or put on weight while dieting, do you ever wonder if you'll manage to find ways of cheating after the op ?

You've shown you can lose weight with real success, so you obviously have the willpower and ability. Perhaps it's more a case of finding a way to stop yourself moving back to the 'bad habits'.

I wish you good luck and health wjether you have the op or not.

This is one of the reasons I want the Gastric Bypass and not a band, the gastric Bypass is a lot more limiting, Some foods I may never be able to eat again after surgery because of "dumping", even those I do eat will only be partially processed as a good portion of my intestines will be bypassed. I dont want to be able to cheat.
    I have never been able to loose any large amount of weight dieting, I have tried and for me it doesn't work. Nothing works. If there was a chance I could d this without surgery I would not be willing to risk leaving my children without a mother by having surgery, not to mention the long term complications that can arise from a bypass.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they choose to spend money on free prescriptions in Scotland rather than surgery it is indeed your MSP you should be lobbying as Scotland has it's own health service. However the public purse will only go so far.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I want the Gastric Bypass and not a band, the gastric Bypass is a lot more limiting, Some foods I may never be able to eat again after surgery because of "dumping", even those I do eat will only be partially processed as a good portion of my intestines will be bypassed. I dont want to be able to cheat.
    I have never been able to loose any large amount of weight dieting, I have tried and for me it doesn't work. Nothing works. If there was a chance I could d this without surgery I would not be willing to risk leaving my children without a mother by having surgery, not to mention the long term complications that can arise from a bypass.

Here are a couple of things I think you may not realise (from reading your post). 1. You can regain weight after a gastric bypass. 2. While you are saying NOW that you may never be able to eat certain things because of "dumping" I can assure you will be able to eat them and you may not even care too much about feeling very ill from "dumping". I know someone who has had the op and she still eats stuff and makes herself so ill she feels like she's having a heart attack. I have watched her groaning in agony .... until the next time. We discuss it and she says she loves her cake or chocolate so much that she canot say "no" even though she will be ill. 3. The cravings never go away. 4. Of course you will still be able to cheat after your op. as I just explained. 5. You can say NOW that the loose skin won't be a problem but it usually is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport