We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NHS help (legal matter)

Options

Comments

• Purplekylie22
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    If you move to your mum's address, then you can register with a GP in that area as a temporary patient for the length of time you stay with your mum. However, I suspect it would be difficult to persuade a GP to refer you for elective surgery as a temporary patient, and even if you were able to persuade them to do so, I would also expect there to be a fairly lengthy waiting list for the surgery, and you would need to be living with your mum during the waiting period to remain eligible for the treatment. To do it this way round would be legal, but I suspect not very convenient.

If you registered with a doctor near your mum as a temporary or permanent patient whilst still living in Aberdeen, then this would be fraud, and you would be likely to be prosecuted. I don't know of any medical cases where this has happened, but I do know that Local Authorities have started to prosecute people who do this to get their children into a popular school with a limited catchment area, and that (short) custodial sentences are being handed out for this. You would easily be caught out if you tried this, the first time you needed to seek medical help in Aberdeen, or by failing to respond to phone calls and letters to the fake address, or just by being on official registers such as the electoral roll in Aberdeen throughout this period.

Have you balanced out the difference in cost between paying privately for weight loss surgery (around £5000 I think) against the cost of moving the whole family to Leicester for an extended period, including any loss of employment that might entail, and does it all make economic sense? If so, a permanent or long term move maybe makes sense.

Hi, Nicki thank you for clarifying the situation, I certainly couldn't be at my mums for the 6 months to a year waiting list so thats that. The cost is actually closer to 10 thousand as I would have a bypass, not a band, Its a longer term and riskier surgery, but a band is unlikely to be effective for me. If I could afford to go privately then I would. I would do it tomorrow.

Guess I will keep going with my MSP and see if I get anywhere :) Moving to Leicester I guess will always be an option maybe in a few years when my OH's kids are a bit older and are able to travel back and forth it will be more likely to happen.
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
  • pauletruth
    pauletruth Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Options
    have you been to the aberdeen weight clinic. have you any other illnesses. if you don't qualify then sadly you will have to pay.
    http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign115.pdf
    if you get into the clinic you may have a better chance. i qualify but there is a 3 year wait so i am going private this year should only cost 10k.
  • pauletruth
    Options
    intrestingly obesity surgery is very effective at curing type 2 diabetes. its good for treating heart problems. after 3 years the death rate is slightly lower than doing nothing staying on the meds plus diet.
    so yes there is an increased risk of death with the op but soon your risks go the other way.

i understand how you feel as do all very large people. shame the skinny folks don't relise how hard it is.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please dont generalise about us skinnies, I get very frustrated about not putting weight on,

We have the problem of people saying to us, 'my your skinny'

No one would dream of saying to the fat people 'my, your fat'

Why the difference, is it less insulting to a skinny person, not to me it isnt. I cant help it but fat people can, is that the difference, I dont know.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Purplekylie22
    Purplekylie22 Posts: 367 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2012 at 5:34PM
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Please dont generalise about us skinnies, I get very frustrated about not putting weight on,

We have the problem of people saying to us, 'my your skinny'

No one would dream of saying to the fat people 'my, your fat'

Why the difference, is it less insulting to a skinny person, not to me it isnt. I cant help it but fat people can, is that the difference, I dont know.

That may be your experience but I can assure, "My, your fat" does get said. I agree with what you say though and I'm sure that pauletruth does aswell. At the end of the day unless you have been the really fat person who has tried everything and cant loose weight, you dont understand it.I really cant do anything about it, I have tried everything and I physically CANNOT do anything. Just as unless we have been the skinny person who cant gain weight we cant understand your situation.
  • Purplekylie22
    Options
    pauletruth wrote: »
    have you been to the aberdeen weight clinic. have you any other illnesses. if you don't qualify then sadly you will have to pay.
    http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/sign115.pdf
    if you get into the clinic you may have a better chance. i qualify but there is a 3 year wait so i am going private this year should only cost 10k.

It is the weight clinic that rejected me becuase my BMI is under 60. :(
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That may be your experience but I can assure, "My, your fat" does get said. I agree with what you say though and I'm sure that pauletruth does aswell. At the end of the day unless you have been the really fat person who has tried everything and cant loose weight, you dont understand it. Just as unless we have been the skinny person who cant gain weight we cant understand your situation.

the 'My your fat' is an awful thing to say to anybody, and hurtful,
    Now, you have to be ready with a retort for the future, all yu have to do is keep a straight face and say.

My, your ugly, but I can lose weight.................:D

Good luck OP
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pauletruth
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Could yu not persevere with 'Weightwatchers' or Slimming World, surely that is a far better option than radical surgery.

There is always, always a risk with this sort of surgery, it's not too long since there was the death of a young wife and mother in the English papers not long after this sort of surgery

Yur 3 children could be your motivation.

this is whay raised my irr slightly. i can diet i can lose well over 10 stone on diets but guess what it will go back on and the next diet will be harder. dieting via the above named companies is not effective for the morbidly overweight person.

it is daft that they are rationing it so extremly. 40 ops a year and some of those ops are on the same person. They will wait untill your seriously ill before oking it and then worry about the risks.my brother in law has heart problems pacemaker type 2 diabetic and seriously sick. untill he had his heart attack they were not intrested. he had to wait a year for his op and he is doing very well. he is off his diabetic meds and his blood pressure is way down and they are talking of stopping his heart meds next. this after only a couple of months post op.

yet they are happy to wait untill you get to that stage were your costing them a fortune in health care.

my main concern is that i can just about pay for the op but if i have to pay for the after care im stuffed. after care will be injections of vits and blood test plus vit tabs and calcium for life.

for all of you that don't understand this is not just a size thing its the diffrence between life and death. and if like me the last place the op will want to be is in a group losing a few stone for summer.

there is a chance of death because of the operation roughly 1 in 200. think of that for a second we are not stupid we know the risks and we know that it is our best chance of living a normal life. it really is not an easy option but it is proving a very effective treatment of a serious life shortning condition.

this is not an option for those who have mild/moderate weight problems the risks would be to high for them.

op just because the nice guide lines are diffrent does not mean even if you moved south that you would get the op. they have their way of stopping you getting it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    op- i really do feel for you but surgery isn't the answer, i went through the nhs process i had to go to a clinic every month for a year then they referred me to hospital where there was another 6 months of various tests, weight loss goals etc but when it came to consenting for the op i decided against it , i knew it wouldn't make a difference if my head wasnt sorted 1st so thats what im doing now , its not easy but i can see a change in my attitude to food. how would you feel with all that loose skin ? weightloss surgery doesnt sort that out .
    have you thought about hypnosis ? they do a hypno band.
  • Armchair23
    Options
    This isn't intended as a personal remark or criticism. But I wonder if making being overweight more acceptable has it's down sides. When I was a teenagert size 16 and over were only found in 'outsize shops'. Now you can buy clothes in many high street stores that fit size 20+.
    I don't imagine any of us who are largely overweight got there in an instant but ate our way through the months and years.

Sorry this is of no help with your surgery issues. But if you can maintain or put on weight while dieting, do you ever wonder if you'll manage to find ways of cheating after the op ?

You've shown you can lose weight with real success, so you obviously have the willpower and ability. Perhaps it's more a case of finding a way to stop yourself moving back to the 'bad habits'.

I wish you good luck and health wjether you have the op or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport