need plumbers help please

Options
my out door tap has packed up today-turned it on and ran for a few seconds then stopped-took pipe of and that is clear-so took tap of and water flows out of pipe-so brought a new tap for it-this is one of those 10 quid outdoor tap kits u but that just puncture into an existing copper pipe-anyway new tap on still no water-if i turn it on slowly a gentle stream of water will flow out of pipe tho-soon as i turn fully on it stops-i thought has it an air blockage as when i do turn it on makes that pipe rattling noise for a few seconds-if its an air blockage stopping it working how come it has worked fine for a year tho?-any idea's

Comments

• chalky_bertie
    Options
    NOT A PLUMBER - we had one of those outdoor kits and mine slowed to a trickle so in the end took connector off where you join to mains copper pipe and it was full of crap but now works spot on. Turn water off at mains first and be careful when replacing for leaks.
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • ^opm^
    ^opm^ Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have changed the tap that connects to copper pipe with a new one and still no better tho?
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if its rattling its an air lock
    these can happen any time
  • ^opm^
    Options
    how do i get rid of it then-i have had water on and off and it either trickles then when i turn it on more it just stops flowing?
  • Ivor_Headache
    Options
    :)OPM Hi,

Don't quite understand. Where did you take the pipe off?

You may need to go back further up the pipework to find exactly where the 'blockage' is. If you are able to, cut the pipe some distance back from the tap, open tap, blow down pipework to clear, rejoin pipe (these 'push fit' joints are ok) and you should then be ok. Oops nearly forgot, make sure you turn water off at stop tap or isolation valve before you do any cutting!
  • ^opm^
    Options
    first i took outdoor tap off-that was clear-so then i took hose of that went to it that was clear-so then i took isolating tap of the one that u cut into ur existing pipe work with-with that of and just hole in cooper pipe i turned water on and it comes out so that is clear-so i went and brought a new isloating tap the one that u turn to cut into ur existing pipework and now it wont work again
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know this sounds obvious but have you open the screw again so the water can flow :-/
    In other words is the isolating valve open ???
  • Ivor_Headache
    Options
    ??? OPM

hi, sorry, now I'm completly confused.

1) how long is the run from the isolating valve to the tap?

2) do you get water coming out of isolating valve when it is in open position?

3) why have you got a hose going to the tap?

4) Is the pipework easily accessable?

My advice would be, if you have water coming from isolating valve, run new pipework from that to where your tap is going to be positioned.( the easy push fit are perfectly adequate for what you need) Forget all the self piercing items, get a bog standard outdoor tap from any of the sheds or plumbing merchants, and connect that to the end of your new pipework with a compressiion fitting, if you have used copper pipe, or use a push fit connector, and screw fix the tap to ypur wall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure