'The new new MSE Masthead – your thoughts please' poll

124»

Comments

• I do not like the new photo of you. It is unflattering as to shirt colour, pose and expression. I much prefer the photo on the weekly email which has a nice expression and shirt colour and is of a size big enough to see. Your face is the logo for this site so let it be seen clearly. I think you should choose a photo and stick to it. Boots (UK Ltd) do not keep changing their logo, although the lettering is old fashioned, it is instantly recognisable and it would be bonkers to change it.

I tend to agree. Your head is 'lost' in the wide, dark border at the top - all that is seen at a quick glance at the header is your shirt, so the 'headless' wish is possible coming true:eek: Still think the old photo is better (sorry).

Also dislike the centering - Firefox has a wasted 1.5" either side of the text.
  • When I do a search the page width changes - getting narrower and everything get scrunched together :( on a mac using firefox if that helps.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    It's just the fixed width thing that bothers me, I should be able to size a web page to whatever size I like, not have a size forced upon me.

Other than that I like the redesign.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • I liked the old masthead better... but I guess I'll get used to the new one eventually.

But the max width... don't like that at all. I don't object to it per se, but it's too narrow. I have a good 2 inches of white space either side of the forum window, and a further 4 inches each side of the browser window!

I have widescreen monitor
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Have you guys seen this thread? It shows how to turn off fixed width! Hooray! i've done it and it's much better!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3753373

If you hate fixed width, you have an option to change it

We would ask you to try it for a week. Yet if you really can't stomach it you can revert it - the option can be found under your
    User CP option > Edit Options > Scroll down to the "Miscellaneous Options" area and look for the option labelled "Forum Skin" > Change it to "New masthead, stretchy".

However it's important to be clear the future will see us developing new features and tools based on a fixed width, so no guarantees can be made for compatibility (although we try our best to make it work).
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • nzseries1 wrote: »
    If you hate fixed width, you have an option to change it

We would ask you to try it for a week. Yet if you really can't stomach it you can revert it - the option can be found under your
    User CP option > Edit Options > Scroll down to the "Miscellaneous Options" area and look for the option labelled "Forum Skin" > Change it to "New masthead, stretchy".

thanks just done that
  • centsible
    centsible Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good to see some thinking on how to improve the masthead, and thanks for everything you do :T. I do prefer the old masthead though, for 3 reasons.

1) It had a 'corporate' colour, which was friendly too. To me, that shade of green meant MSE. The new one is a cacophany of too many colours. I find that I'm avoiding the new masthead wherever possible and my eyes naturally go to the old style green bars whenever in the forum. Seems strange to ditch a successful colour given how much money big organisations spend on trying to develop something like this. If the new layout is to stay I would much, much prefer to see the tab colours reversed. All that varying contrast and white on x, y or z is unnecessarily difficult to read.

2) The old layout seemed better. Maybe it was simply the location and 'stand out colour' of the 'forum' button, or the location of the search box, or the less block like tabs, but it simply seemed better.

3) Impersonal. Now that they are too small to really see, the masthead lacks any personal quality. Instead the half height figure looks like one you'd find in 'search our site for x, click on it and we'll enter you in a competition' situation. The anonymous typeface that goes with it emphasises the impersonality.

Finally, what I'd really like with the tabs is less of them. 6 or 7 maybe, instead of 10.
  • New masthead looks trendy but the photo of you Martin, reminds me of Louie Spence!!:)
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fteam, could you offer an option to personalise our pages, please

meaning, set our frequently used smilies in that little smilie box, frequently used links for tools, banking, comparison or just to go shopping etc., please, to save searching time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure