PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Catering for a party????

Options
I am having a 'Tea Party' that won't start till 5pm (just found out can't have hall until 4pm).
I've always gone way over the top with food at parties, what I call real food.
This time its a buffet type and the more I think of it the more I don't want just teatime stuff, can't bear people to leave hungry.
So need idea's, usual buffet stuff with a bit of a posh end range.
Also how do I know how much to cater for each person?
I'm trying to be a good MSE and not turn to Waitrose/M&S to do it for me.
I'm looking at around 70 people at the moment, mostly adults.
Help please.
I just know someone on here will have the knowledge I need, Please share.
Thank you in advance
LL
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

Comments

• LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do I need to move this?
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a caterer. Do you want to serve hot food, or just cold? And will it be a fork or finger buffet?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Important questions Possession asked..
    70 people is a lot! Getting it from M&S would be hell of an expensive affair.. Caterers would surely come out cheaper for this number?!

I think good party food - massive meat potato pie, roast ham, whole baked salmon, chilli con carne for the main food.

lots of different open sandwich/canape kind of things (good about these is that they can be made a little in advance), mini quiches (those I get at Costco, they are nice, if you have access that is)...
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Work out how much you're willing to spend! Just last weekend I catered a lunch for 20 for £3 a head - that was more than enough with a bit of imagination and flexibility. Also, are you doing all the prep and cooking yourself? Do you have help? How much time do you have? When you say 'tea' party, does that mean finger food, or is it just a description of the time of day you want to shovel food down them :)?

If it's Proper Food, you've got an easier job; if it's tea party type stuff for 70 you've got some work on your hands but it's not impossible. Do you have freezer space or are you trying to prep it all in one day?

Off the top of my head, on the info you've given, I'd say do a fair few plates of sandwiches, and bake a few cakes and other easy sweet things like brownies and flapjacks. Then you could use the spare money and time to do canapes (but nothing too complicated). Sausage rolls are easy, and you could do a vegetarian version too, or roulade type things. Bowls of salads and rice are easy and look good, plus yer standard chicken drumsticks etc, and some roast potatoes (everyone loves roast spuds) if you can serve things hot (that was another question I meant to ask!). Also, will you have the use of a kitchen on site or does it have to be prepped in advance?
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • snowleopard61
    snowleopard61 Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2012 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Scones (homemade if poss, bought if need be) halved and topped with jam and cream are extremely cheap to make, can be made in advance and frozen (obviously without the jam and cream!), look pretty and nearly everyone loves them.

Pasta salads are dead easy, filling and very cheap. Potato salads likewise, if a little more expensive.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I catered for 100 people at my daughter's engagement party for £2 a head. We went to Asda and bought their sandwich fillings, used finger rolls. Iceland provided the Indian/Chinese snacks. They have loads of stuff for £1 and £5. Large gateaux and a trifle was dessert. There was a lot left, nobody was hungry and I was pleased with it all! (Adults seem to like bowls of Haribo too!!)
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some great ideas, thanks, especially the links provided by Pink-Winged. I need to rope people in and get busy it seems.
    LL

• chubbster_1
    Options
    Chicken wings/drumsticks always go down well I think, if you don't want to cook them yourself and don't want to buy pre-cooked from the supermarket try somewhere that sells spicy chicken wings (local versions of kfc for example). I've bulk bought from places like this for parties before and it's worked well to add to things I've made myself.

Skewers of things are quite nice too - look good and are easy to eat with fingers. chicken/mushroom/pepper/onion drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds and bung in the oven on baking trays. Can be served cold and go down just as well cold I've found.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Here's my posh nosh sausage rolls...

Take a sheet of Jus Roll puff pastry
    A pack of cocktail sausages or good Herta hot dogs (if using the coctail sausages,cook them first & alow to go cold
    Jar of red onion chutney.
    Egg to glaze

Measure out strips of pastry about 1cm longer at each end & wide enough to wrap around the sausages or hot dogs,brush the middle of each sheet with onion chutney,lay a sausage or hot dog on top of the onion chutney & roll up,seal the ends & the side with the egg & wash the top also with the egg.Make small diagonal slits in the top to allow the steam to escape & bake in the oven.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport