We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

composter

Options
Hey, I'm looking to start doing the garden this this and create a veg/fruit patch, I have been looking for a composter online for under £30 but all the ones I see have bad reviews and put me off buying them, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestion where I can get a good one from.

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check with your local council, they often do subsidised ones.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    definatly try council, i managed to get a couple for a very good price, about £7.50 each i think.
    if you can get to your local library ask? in mine the'yd had leaflets on them if not difinatly ring council and see what they say?
    if not you could make one with pallets if your good at diy or can get someone to help you?
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,812 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    UnluckyT wrote: »
    if not you could make one with pallets

Agreed, but my personal experience of this is that it's not worth doing, as pallet wood rots too quickly.

I'd go for the council-subsidised ones, which can be ridiculously cheap (e.g. the smallest from my council is £2!)
  • macma
    macma Posts: 911 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try your local freecycle group,there have been two on ours in the last month.
    We bought our green plastic "dalek" types from the council,they're ok but I prefer the big ones on our lottie ,they're knocked together with old pallets and recycled wood but perhaps not tidy enough for a garden.
  • DT36
    Options
    If anyone is in the in the South Wales area, they can have mine for free.
    I have seen rat droppings around mine, and now something has burrowed under it. This is a large Dalek type in black.
    I don't put cooked food or eggs in it, but something in there is attractive. I have even had to stop filling my bird feeder because of this.
    In truth, I think the rats are under my neighbours deck as he also stacks refuse bins against my fence, instead of his bins. However, they are going in my composter now, and I want rid of it.
  • macma
    macma Posts: 911 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DT36 we had rats in our lottie bins 'til some of the old guys said if you can start the bin with about a foot of manure the rats won't burrow in and several years on they're right. Our allotment is only 6 ft from a rhyne where rats wander up and down and they honestly don't bother us
  • eeker
    eeker Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought a Botanico Home Composting System from greenfingers.com for 14.99 so am hoping it's as good as the reviews say. I specifically wanted something with this kind of capacity but they have other types on there in the sale as well though. Apologies I can't post links.

HTH
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    DT36 wrote: »
    If anyone is in the in the South Wales area, they can have mine for free.
    I have seen rat droppings around mine, and now something has burrowed under it. This is a large Dalek type in black.
    I don't put cooked food or eggs in it, but something in there is attractive. I have even had to stop filling my bird feeder because of this.
    In truth, I think the rats are under my neighbours deck as he also stacks refuse bins against my fence, instead of his bins. However, they are going in my composter now, and I want rid of it.

how far from carmarthen?? are yoy
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • DT36
    Options
    OddjobKIA wrote: »
    how far from carmarthen?? are yoy
    CF81 9PQ. 60 miles one way. I wouldn't think this would be financially viable though for you.
    However, if you want it, its yours. Just bring some sacks as well, as there's plenty inside to get you going.

If nobody wants it, then I will consider the manure in the base, as suggested by Macma. Thanks.
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    DT36 wrote: »
    CF81 9PQ. 60 miles one way. I wouldn't think this would be financially viable though for you.
    However, if you want it, its yours. Just bring some sacks as well, as there's plenty inside to get you going.

If nobody wants it, then I will consider the manure in the base, as suggested by Macma. Thanks.

as my truck only does 3 miles to the pound it is probably cheaper to buy a goldplated one from wyvale

thanks anyway
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills