New Post Advanced Search

Re: Overpayment info from Tax Credits helpline

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
3 replies 3.1K views
Ted_HutchinsonTed_Hutchinson
7.1K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
I am sure the Inland Revenue are going to have to write off a lot of overpayments as "Official Error" as it simply isn't fair that people with little or no resources should have repayments taken from current benefits when they repeatedly made the effort to notify the Inland Revenue that they thought an overpayment was occuring or they had told them of a relevant change of circumstance ( pay rise) which the IR couldn't be bothered to make adjustments for.

This is from a previous post on the topic.
Details of the repayment percentages are in this leaflet
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/leaflets/cop26.pdf

However do read through the whole leaflet especially this bit
Some mistakes by us that lead to overpaid tax credit may happen because you gave us some information and we did not act upon it. If you tell us about a change, you can expect to get a revised award notice from us within a few days. But if you tell us something and we do not act upon it within a month, and you could reasonably think your tax credit award was correct, we would not ask you to pay back the additional tax credit you were paid.
My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs

Replies

• well i  completed a form to change our childminding cost as my wife went back to work after maternity leave .i stated that we payed 17 pounds for our oldest child and 50 for our youngest . we recieved confirmation in the post of this but when i phoned to find out how much we were entitled to. The lady said i see u pay £1750   per week i promptly replied no we dont we pay £67 per week i said its not my fault you did not put the decimal points in when adding the figures together  . this is exactly what happened £17 in the first box £50 in the second box does not add up to £1750. i can clearly see this was an error on your behalf i told her by which time they had already payed me back money of £1000 plus three weeks of £68 . so as usual i informed them every time our circumstances changed and recieved about 20 notices for the year. now they want it back so i have filled out an appeal about six weeks ago well if you read the appeals form they recomend that if you have to go to a hearing you should have an oral one as this is your best chance of a favourable outcome . well i have news for the tax credits if i dont get to keep the money it will cost them a packet for me to go to a hearing they pay all travel costs plus your loss of earnings .now living in the orkney isles will not be cheap for me to attend  I could take wife too (shopping holiday with there money)                                                                               ps i said to the lady on the phone i would need to earn 90,000 per year just to pay my childminding costs and if i earned that much i would not be completing your crappy forms .will keep u posted when  hear anything back
  • FranFran Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will cost them a packet for me to go to a hearing they pay all travel costs plus your loss of earnings .now living in the orkney isles will not be cheap for me to attend

I'd be interested to know what happens, kingrobert!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • I appealed months ago and havent heard a thing, my MP helped me.
    They are so incompetant and even if you have the name of the person you spoke to and gave a change of details it makes no differance as that person will probably have left by now, I think they just say that to get out of paying you back
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support