PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How did you ensure there was parking space for your removal lorry?

Options
We're moving house in a few weeks time and the driveway of our new house is a bit tight so I'm not sure if the removal van will fit into it. There never seems to be any free parking spaces on the road, so I just wondered what everyone did to make sure that there was space for your removal lorry? All the moving websites say to make sure you have parking reserved but they don't tell you how you go about this!
Thanks!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Round our way people plonk a couple of wheelie bins in the relevant bit of road so no-one can park there, with a note on explaining why.
    As it's only for a few hours and we're a friendly bunch we can usually live with that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kira000
    Kira000 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    giffen wrote: »
    We're moving house in a few weeks time and the driveway of our new house is a bit tight so I'm not sure if the removal van will fit into it. There never seems to be any free parking spaces on the road, so I just wondered what everyone did to make sure that there was space for your removal lorry? All the moving websites say to make sure you have parking reserved but they don't tell you how you go about this!
    Thanks!

It depends on parking restrictions on the road as well. For a house move some time ago, there were limited parking bays, and the rest was yellow lines. We had to contact the council highway dept and inform them of the date/time, and get permission to have the removals lorry t be parked up on the yellows, with an authorisation letter in the window. Because it was yellows, there was no risk of anyone else already being parked there though.

In other roads near me now, where there are no restrictions, you usually see people parking their cars in the space they want for the lorry, and adding a few bins or cones at either end to take the space up, and then moving the car when the lorry arrives.
    Married 13/03/10 #1 DD born 13/01/12!!

;)Newborn Thread Founder ;)
  • giffen
    giffen Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the quick replies

Yeah it would be good to put something there in advance - such as a wheelie bin or car - but I've never seen a space free in order to do this! Ideally I'd pop down the night before and leave my car there but I could be waiting a long time for a space (near the house) to come up.

The street has a single yellow line but this is ignored and apparently not enforced.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have the sellers already left the house? If not, they'll need to ensure there's a space for their own van which with a bit of careful timing you could then take over when they depart.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    I have lifted up a moped with friends and moved it round the corner when one of my ex-neighbours thought they were being funny by parking in the space the other neighbours had created for me.

They didn't realise until they saw the van parked outside a bit later, they came rushing out and asked where their moped was, we all adopted a blank expression and denied any knowledge of it.

As the moped also wasn't taxed there was no chance of them calling the police.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    It's not your problem.

If your removal firm doesn't want to carry your furniture too far, that's up to them to sort out surely?

You are paying them (a lot!) to move your furniture.

I'm sure there will be nothing in your contract with them that means you have to ensure they can park outside your new house.

In some places that is impossible anyway.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • giffen
    giffen Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    The sellers have already moved so jumping into their space isn't an option unfortunately :-(

We're not using a removal firm, we're doing it ourselves...
  • mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe that you can request that the local police put some cones outside the house on removal day. Phone your local police station (not 999) and ask them.

I did this back in 1995 or so. Things may be different now.
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you knock on the neighbour's doors, introduce yourself, apologise for the inconvenience and ask if they could help you on moving day by moving their cars out the way for a few hours? A big friendly smile goes a long way to future relations. :)

Someone did that to us and a few others in our old cul de sac, we were all happy to oblige.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Councils typically organise this. Normally you look at their parking websites for ino on how to apply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure