We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Poundland potatoes

Options
Does anyone know when these will be on the shelves?

Spend a while on the allotment this afternoon, i'm slowly taming the wilderness and I feel I should be chitting potatoes? Would now be too early?

I'm super keen and twitching to sow cauliflower and leek seeds.

Also needing compost and have found poundland as good as any but again, not seen any yet and don't want to spring for more expensive compost. Trying to do it as cheap as possible :-)

Gx

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My poundland tatties are chitting on my window sill :D
    Bought them on Wednesday, only had pentland javelin and Swift in stock and didn't notice any compost in there, lots of spring/summer bulbs and plastic cloche tunnels that would blow away nicely in the wind.

For £2 I thought I'd try them, but always have great crops with alans romans seed tatties, can't beat them, wilkinsons have come a close 2nd.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Poundland have 2 varieties of potatoes & 2 varieties of onions in. Does anyone know if the Poundland ones are any good in containers? I've had a go the last couple of years but not really a great success - I dont have anywhere to put them in the ground (or maybe I'm doing something wrong!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooooohhhh do poundland have their fruit bushes in yet? There is not one near to me but I love their fruit bushes they have always thrived in our garden with great yields. In fact they have done better than any of the really expensive plants we have bought :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Getting excited about starting to garden again:D:D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • scottishchick27
    Options
    A word of warning, I bought the pound land ones last year and they weren't very good. I also bought some others online and they were so much better so I think I'll buy more expensive ones this year. They had very little taste.
    :j little fire cracker born 5th November 2012 :j
  • CT19720
    CT19720 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2012 at 12:21AM
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    Ooooohhhh do poundland have their fruit bushes in yet? There is not one near to me but I love their fruit bushes they have always thrived in our garden with great yields. In fact they have done better than any of the really expensive plants we have bought :D

I was in Poundland yesterday, and in my local then had rasberry and red current bushes, and a few others types (can't remember what though). I looked at them buy didn't buy as I have nowhere to put one until I sort the garden out a bit more. I did buy their onions though.
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    It is also time to save - Aim £4,000 - So far this year - £230/£4,000
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Getting excited about starting to garden again:D:D:D

Oh I am positively giddy about the whole thing :rotfl:
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    Got some swift potatoes in poundland today, bit small but still excited, can't go wrong for a pound.

The onions I got last year though all bolted and didn't really come to anything. Maybe I just got a bad batch though as one of the guys from the allotment bought them too and his are belters!
  • new2012
    new2012 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I bought the pound land ones last year and they weren't very good.

I bought onion sets from them and out of the 50 about 20 of them bolted.

This year I am sticking to onion seeds.

Although their blood and bonemeal is a bargain compared to the likes of Asda and Dobbies.
  • orchidpepper
    Options
    I actually really want to try Vivaldi potatoes this year but don't want to break the bank to get them, Does anyone know if Wilkinsons get them in?

Also.......bought stuttgarder (think thats the right spelling) onion sets from the poundshop today, they are a good size and nice and firm, gave the red barons a miss as they were tiny and a bit soft also had no success with them last year. Has anyone tried the Stuttgarders?

Gayle :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport