friend recently widowed

Options
I'm not sure if i'm posting this on the most appropriate forum, so many apologies if this post would be better suited elsewhere.

my friend has recently been widowed. I know that she is getting anxious about how she is going to cope financially without her husbands pension. I've checked and found out that she can claim for a reduction in her council tax. Is there anything else along these lines that she will be entitled to?

It's only very early days since her husband died so I don't want to be pushy. I know she has bigger issues to deal with than money. But I genuinely would like to help her to get things straight financially so that she doesn't have to be worrying about that. Any tips about how to approach this without seeming interfering or patronising (she's in her 60's - I'm in my 30's)?
weaving through the chaos...

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is best to let her know you are there to help, but only when she is ready. Maybe suggest a meeting with her solicitor/bank manager.

Usually people prefer to discuss these issues with their family.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    It may be worth asking her if she would like to use your PC (assuming she's not online herself) to explore all the advice Martin has to offer as well as checking
    Entitledto.co.uk,

Also don't forget that
    Help the Aged - We Will - Help the Aged

and
    Age Concern both have dedicated helplines which allow you to explain the benefits system so she will be able to get everything she is entitled to.
    It is important that she takes action as soon as possible as many benefits may not be backdated so it's money lost that may have helped.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks everyone.

relations with her family have been somewhat strained, otherwise I would not be thinking of poking my nose in.

I'll definitely check those links out. Then next time she brings up the subject of money I can ask if she'd like me to look over things with her. I know I've saved a lot of money by following advise on this site, and when you're on a limited income those savings can make a big difference.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    there is a minimum income guarantee for pensioners and things vary on if you are 60 or 65. it all depends on income and savings.

i recently rang the pensions dwp helpline for my mum and dad recently and they were very helpful.

i'm sure someone who is a pensioner might be able to give you more info.....

i think if you find out what is available you will be prepared for when she needs your support x
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    phizzimum wrote:
    I know that she is getting anxious about how she is going to cope financially without her husbands pension.

If you mean a state pension, the should now receive the same as her husband was getting in her own right.She may also be able to inherit some or all of her husband's S2P (Serps) pension if he was receiving that.

Call these people to ask:

https://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

If it's a company pension, many offer a 50% or larger pension after the first death.A private pension from an insurance company may also pay out a 50% (or larger) widow's pension.

She needs to contact all the pension providers to check the position.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • MinnieSpender
    Options
    Hello phizzimum

I would imagine your friend is absolutely delighted to be able to share her worries with you. What a lovely friend you are to her at such a time.

A relative of mine has recently had to cope with something similar. Maybe if I post what we did it would help?

First of all, the pensions service were notified as a result of the death being certified - they filled in a form and sent it off on her behalf. It took a while for them to sort matters out, but she now has an increased pension as a result of being a widow because her husband's payments were taken into account. They should write to her with her new entitlement, but if she hasn't heard anything, I would suggest that she or you telephone them on 0845 6060 265. They are absolutely lovely and don't use any kind of jargon - they were also very speedy at chasing up what was going on in my relative's case. The website might also be useful for you: http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/retired/bereavement/home.asp.

If your friend's husband received a pension from a former employer, she should let them know so that they can recalculate the pension she will receive.

You are right about Council Tax - she will qualify for the 25% discount if she is now living alone. Again, the local council was very helpful and sent a form out immediately. The discount was backdated to her husband's date of death and she received a cheque for the overpaid amount within a fortnight.

Depending on her circumstances, she may qualify for a Funeral Payment. Check here http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/retired/bereavement/funeral-payment.asp to see if she qualifies.

Is your friend suffering from any kind of illness or disability which will cause her problems now that she is alone? If so, she should apply for Attendance Allowance (a non-taxable benefit). Details here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10012425 but my immediate tip would be to telephone for an application form ASAP as they will stamp the form with the date of the phone call and if she is successful they will pay her from this date.

I can't think of anything more right now but if I do, I'll post back.

Best of luck to your friend.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • marbella
    marbella Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a lovely friend you are. I had to deal with all the financial worries on my own with a 13 year only child and I am only in my forties. It is really difficult but if you can get your friend to do a little bit of research on the internet with you it will help a great deal, that is how I had to find out a lot of information. Good luck, I hope you find out loads of info.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    when my dad died last year and we notified the dwp by using the green form they sent a lady out to go over my mums pension entitlement
    also this form apparently informed the council and my mum got her council tax reduced at about the same time

if your local council has a drop in centre then yuor friend can go and see them and they will tell you if theres anything else
    like we found out since my mum has a disabled badge she is also entitled to a taxi card
  • carolyn26
    Options
    Ring the Pensions Service on 0845 6060265 and ask for a visit from Local Pension Service. They will do a full benefit check including Council Tax Benefit and discounts, complete all of the forms and look at other needs, not just financial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure