PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How do valuers sleep at night????

Options
15678911»

Comments

• propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I can help;

My local comprehensive with A levels in Economics and History- capital markets boom and bust- they are cyclical by nature
    NOT reading the mainstream and conventional thinkers ( but filtering out the wacko's) about future trends.

Hearing Gordon Brown changing the golden rules he said would never change and knowing that it was in fact all over & only a matter of time.

I am genuinely sorry about your plight, but pleased that you are only frustrated and disappointed and not one of those who has lost their home.
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • Absolutely - my heart genuinely goes out to them X
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My whole thread was really about valuers from out of the area not taking into account hot spots and demand for a house
    There was no realistic demand for your house, that's why it didn't sell at the price you were asking over the last two and a half years.
    poppy10
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    There was no realistic demand for your house, that's why it didn't sell at the price you were asking over the last two and a half years.

This. Forget about this 'micro climate' (lol) as it clearly doesnt exist.
    In fact frame this above your fireplace
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    Options
    But that's wrong, they do exist. The problem is that the valuer acting for the lender is looking at properties for the lender's security over the life of the mortgage not a local or in this case individual peak in demand.

Many years ago we had a house on the books which was on with everyone and had been for a year or so it was oversized for the road and location, and priced nearer the level of houses with similar size in that location or arrangement. An applicant wandered in and said that they had seen it with everyone why was that. I explained the above. I recall him saying I was the only person to give him a straight answer, and asked to see it.

They bought it after a little haggling, because they wanted the accommodation but couldn't afford the comparable house elsewhere.

There are relatively few people and houses where people make that trade off. The fact that the vendor tried to stiff us on commission was just the icing on the cake these were the only people we sent over, and he had to pay us 3% plus VAT :D
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family