New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: 'Modest' fall in house prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
8 replies 1.9K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The UK's average house price fell by 1.3% in 2011 after a monthly decline of 0.9% between November and December ..."
Read the full story:
'Modest' fall in house prices

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Good news, they have also revised the scale of the previous month up to -1% as well.

Still got a long way to go till house prices are affordable, lets hope we get bigger falls in 2012 as most predict.

Even the vested interest Ray Bougler said on Money Box today that prices would fall 4% this year. If a property ramper says falls are going to be that big expect even bigger falls.

:beer:

Official report below:
    http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/pdfs/halifax/2012/060112HousePriceIndexDecember2011.pdf

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTZRIXLsdQaH8tLn9b5pQqGnfJ1rkUd1P20N3zB2J0j4egonTfXg
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • flexriderflexrider Forumite
    745 posts
    Good article but with the harder chances of getting a morguage as said on MSE in the future meaning these Falls be a short thing. Without the banks lending there not much cash in people pockets to buy Unless of course you get six lucky numbers on whensday or saturday results :)
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • It all falls by the wayside if there is an economic collapse though. In those circumstances I think house prices will be at the lower end of a lot of peoples priorities. But to the subject in hand high prices are bad and only those lending the money gain. I do hope they tighten up the lending criteria. What was allowed to happen over the last ten years should never be allowed to be repeated again (even though in most likely hood it will).
  • jimpix12jimpix12 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Why do you only report Halifax or Nationwide figures?
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • spunko2010 wrote: »

They are probably the ones that support his interest most aptly at the time, and that's just a human reaction, don't hang him for that. A bit like Sibley humping the express front page. :D

To be fair as long as he sticks to the same sources on a rise then no foul.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spunko2010 wrote: »

LR figures are 3 months in arrears. Rightmove are asking prices, not actual transactions. Which other figures did you have in mind?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • jimpix12jimpix12 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    LR figures are 3 months in arrears. Rightmove are asking prices, not actual transactions. Which other figures did you have in mind?

The LR figures alone are the most accurate, so they are fine.

I have not seen them being posted on this forum by any MSE_* user however.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spunko2010 wrote: »
    The LR figures alone are the most accurate, so they are fine.

I have not seen them being posted on this forum by any MSE_* user however.

Come back in March/April, then, and we can discuss the change in house prices in 2011.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support