Ahhhhhh Comet!

Options
I need some help here please. I purchased a Goodmans 37inch HD LCD TV from Comet last Saturday (3rd) and only really had a chance last night to sit down and watch some TV for any length of time. Basically the picture quality is horrible when anything other than a static shot is on screen, so fast moving images, cars or football actually gave me a headache last night. All I want to do now is to take this TV back to the store and purchase a new one (decent brand this time) so I phoned Comet and was told that I couldn't do this, so armed with the advise from Consumer Direct I replied saying that the TV isn't fit for purpose as it made me feel ill! Comet have insisted that an engineer visits to confirm if what I am saying is true, I have been told he will be an independant engineer so he should know what he is talking about.....what I want to know is has anybody else been through a similar situation, if so what should I be saying the the engineer etc...any tips would be apprecaited.

Comments

• Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    lcd tv's do this for some peculiar reason. ours does. something to do with pixels or something. youll get used to it but every so often when thees something fast on the tv like a car or something you suddenly get this strange thing happen to the picture. its hard to explain. although it shouldnt be doing it all the time.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They don't all do it - my 32" Toshiba doesn't.
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Options
    have you never noticed sometimes on a fast mocing bit that the screen stutters? i really cant describe it.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    OK - sounds familiar
    but dont listen to their bull and dont get into their common off putting loop of sending you from dept ot dept to wear you down so you give up

we had the same crap with a faulty cooker and it took 3 months to get it refunded - despite every department I was passed to trying to say it wasnt another depts problem.

basically - do not listen to what they tell you - say you want to reject the goods as they are poor quality - use the letter the TS or consumer direct offer.
    send it to the head office & the store - plus the chairman of comet & KESA who own comet - recorded delivery - we had ours sorted in 24 hours of doing this
    tell them if you do not get an offer of a full refund you will take the matter to the county court - quoting all legal stuff that CD or TS have told you why it has to be returned.

by law you have 14 days to reject the goods - despite comet having alternative rules worded nicely - to say you have to follow their rules.

basically once you buy goods from comet - even if they go wrong they do not want you to return it to them no matter what.

follow the advice & dont give up

if you bought it on a credit card contact them now and tell them why as this is also powerful - although barclaycard couldnt be bothered with us
    you can also say it dosent look as good as the demo model in the shop.

Why people still buy from comet I dont know - ther are many cheaper online sites and they have much better customer service

hope it helps

Gibby
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthillmob wrote:
    have you never noticed sometimes on a fast mocing bit that the screen stutters? i really cant describe it.

Hmm, I've looked around and it seems it is quite a common issue. I've never noticed it but fortunately the Toshibas seem to very good at dealing with it. I found this thread on Avforums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471869

They seem to recommend Plasmas.
  • concrescence
    Options
    I note the dissatisfaction expressed and can assure that it is not an uncommon experience for engineers to have to explain to customers that the phenomenon is normal for the type of equipment they have purchased.My view is that the average customer visits the showrooms with too little understanding of the technologies available...namely HDTV which is usually on show and make their purchase assuming all LCD"s and Plasma sets behave equally well. I can state quite confidently that they do not. My advice is to take a little more time to view what is on offer at the showroom and ask questions at the point of sale...before they buy. Why they should expect to be compensated for making the wrong choice defies logic to me.
  • SuperNashwan
    Options
    That the set makes you feel ill doesn't necessarily imply that there's anything faulty with the set to the point you'd have a right to legal redress unfortunately. Cheaper LCD displays take longer to change the state of the pixels on the screen which can introduce smearing or ghosting on fast images and when you add in poor upscaling for SD material, demanding footage like fast pans in football can really test the TV. I doubt an engineer will find anything faulty they can fix, so you may be stuck with this unless Comet have an unconditional returns policy. Nowadays it's often better to buy things online, even if it's just the online counterpart to a high street chain, because then you can return things under the Distance Selling Regulations for whatever reason you want.
    Normally I'd say give it a go anyway, but seeing that this is Comet I fear you may be wasting your time...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure