LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!

Comments

• satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Brizzled

Challenge the request for a self assessment, I used to have to submit tax returns years after I finished being self employed, then got fed up and rang HMRC and asked why
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry, I'm struggling with a tiny keyboard and seem to keep posting before I've finished my message... anyway, I rang HMRC to ask why I needed to send a self assessment Partnership form when I had written on each form that I hadn't been a partner for 5 years. The response was "oh, ok, fill it in this year, then we won't send a request next year".

In terms of how did I get to my current financial good place? Questioned myself once, twice and a third time whenever I "needed" to buy anything (everything). Did I really need to top up my PAYG mobile by £15 this month, could I manage with £10 (yes), did I really need toothpaste this week could I squeeze the tube a bit harder and last till next week (usually). Drove at 55mph instead of 70 on motorways. Parked nearest the works car park exit to use less petrol. Used cashback sites, after triple checking who was cheapest for utilities/insurance etc. Did no-spend click-throughs to build up enough points to redeem on vouchers for gifts. There's another diary on here from Hypno who was an inspiration - from the early days of her debts - thanks Hypno, I don't think you realise how many people you helped!

Sadly, when I was at the most difficult stage of my financial journey, MSE didn't exist.

If you can bear to post an SOA (statement of affairs) of your income and expenditure, you'll get a huge amount of realistic advice on here, and no-body will judge you - just your purchases LOL. There are also guides on here that will help you introduce some frugality to your grocery shopping, which is an area where forward planning can bring big savings.

Wishing you good luck, hugs and support. Satchmo x
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 January 2012 at 11:11AM
    Thanks guys

Satchmo1.. All those little things add up to a change in lifestyle hey. Think thats the way we need to go. The discipline ( and fun!) of being on these forums has helped me so far over the last fortnight too..keeps me focussed which is half the battle.

I will ask HMRC why and see what they say. Thanks for that. Just a bore and another job to do! And yes, a SOA..that feels like a full confession. So I am gearing up to that but think I have to...it's an important stage of my journey to financial independence. Grocery shopping and holidays I reckon are the key ares but scrutiny of our spend diaries for the last year would tell me a lot I think..

DFW321thanks for dropping in. Good to see you :wave: ( hey new milestone in my MSE life .have found the extra smilies!!) I will indeed try AL@I cereals for the Sunday cereal..DD2 had porridge this morning and DD1 had toast. No complaints. And cat loves the AL@I food too..so we're all happy:T

Today I have some work to do so that needs to be done. Dinner is ekeing out the leftover mince with some leftover rice for DDs. Me and OH are having pies and mash from the freezer..yum. So a NSD for me altho OH has a spend he has told me about. He has his packed lunch though..as usual. He's pretty consistent about that.

I have been thinking about LBM moments. Agree OH has not had his. He is ignoring much of what's on this site to be honest. Not in terms of not trying to spend less and hes the one who keeps a record of every spend we make but he doesn't read it for ideas or post or anything. That's a way off I think. I plan to curb my own ways first..I am probably the bigger spender ( was:rotfl: not any more I hope) anyway. Then I can talk to him about it from a better position..

Have a great day guys, here's to a good MSE week for us all!

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    PS Hypno is an inspiration isn't she. And has been through a lot as well as the debt. A hero in the world of MSE! Haven't read her posts for ages. Mrsmrc (sp?) was another I loved reading but I thnk she cleared her debts and moved abroad...not sure she has a diary about life on the other side:rotfl:
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw wrote: »
    PS Hypno is an inspiration isn't she. And has been through a lot as well as the debt. A hero in the world of MSE! Haven't read her posts for ages. Mrsmrc (sp?) was another I loved reading but I thnk she cleared her debts and moved abroad...not sure she has a diary about life on the other side:rotfl:

i also read Mrsmrc's diary and she was still in debt when i started it, by the time i finished it she was moving abroad to switzerland i think ??? and had paid off all her debts :T i will look for hypno's diary now, instead of reading books (which cost me money) i just settle down to a diary instead :rotfl: full of mse info & a great read too :p
    MFW #17
    EF- £55.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET 0/£500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • I havent read either of those diaries, but intend to now. Trouble is I keep subscribing for all sorts of things, but there really arent enough hours in the day to read and reply !

Did the girls enjoy the pancakes on Sunday brizzled or didnt you make them in the end ?

Re HMRC, we are having the same problem , they are still sending us self assesement forms / reminders but we havent been self employed for 2 years , as the business is now a Ltd Company. I'm sure they send them just to wind me up , as if we havent got enough to do !:)
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future ! :eek:
    Total debts Nov 2011 [STRIKE]£96796.75[/STRIKE]:eek:
    Total Debts JUL 2020 £00.00
    Cleared Jul 2020 £96796.75
    :T
    Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - £5500 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Mrs PG that's interesting about HMRC..you're right. It's just another thing to do. I am however now planning to try and use it to my advantage (if I don't challenge) as my last job had my workplace as my house and I have some pension contributions which I didn't claim HR tax relief on etc etc. so I think I will see if I can make some back!

The pancakes were yummy ...Jamie Oliver's recipe with egg whites yum yum.

Must dash now. Speak more soon
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Hi all :)

brizzle - huge congrats on paying off those 2 debts - that must feel fab! :j:j:j

I think even now there are things that i can improve upon - satchmo - some excellent ideas posted there , thank you :T Like last week i ran out of the little notepads i use for shopping lists, notes etc. Had got a few letters in so tore the envelopes up to use as paper for this instead :)
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 January 2012 at 4:56PM
    Hi

My mum and grandma always used to have a pile of scrap paper and envelopes by the phone. My mum still does actually and the kids love raiding it for crafty activities the minute they get to her house. They also used sticky labels...what did we call them..can't remember...so every envelope was reused. Green and MSE I guess. Frugal all the way.

So I have reused some envelopes today. i did my claim form! Yay! OH will photocopy it for me and then it can be posted. Put rest of envelopes in recycling! (But probably could have used some for the paper log maker. They are fairly damp still but I think its something we will persevere with ) we always use them to line my food kitchen caddy thing.

Have HM potato and leek soup on now in order to make the main stretch further.. Another of my grandmas tricks. Must cast my mind back to think of some more. That generation knew about being frugal alright. Her mum was separated from her dad and if his cheque ( he provided some support) was late and they were then late with the rent they used to have to hide under the table until the bailiffs went! Scary stuff for a lil un.

Cheers all x
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi DDFW..you're right..I should be more pleased about paying off those 2 debts but cos its reallocating savings..it feels like cheating so that takes the shine off it iyswim. But it's all progress I guess and it's the right thing to do.

Have done a PAD towards each of the remaining CCs too as I need to stop thinking of them as free money..

Have a meeting this evening but OH will stay at home and miss an eve when he usually does a hobby but that's OK so saving on babysitter costs so staying on track for me having a NSD..yay
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback