»

Average food spend per person per month? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Average food spend per person per month?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
25 replies 158.7K views

Replies

• I live by myself and spend about £50 a month on food, although it can vary quite a lot depending on what deals the supermarkets have (it there is a good deal I'll buy lots which pushes up my budget for the month, but then the next month i"ll spend a bit less).

I do have a freezer and do lots of batch cooking, and I am always looking for whoopsied meat, which I then freeze and use when needed. If I didnt have a freezer I guess I'd have to pay full price for meat, but then maybe I'd eat less (I dont eat much meat anyway).

Trixie4, have you tried making your own breakfast bars, and cous cous. Im not sure how much the packets of cous cous cost, but sometimes I make it for lunch, generally I'll get some veg like tomatoes, peppers and onions, roast them in the oven. In a separate bowl I'll pour over veg stock onto some plain cous cous, leave for a few minutes then mix in the veg. I make enough for a weeks lunches, and it comes to no more than £1.50-£2 for a weeks worth of lunches.
  • There's more of us here so it's not a fair comparison, but have you tried watering down your fruit juice slightly? I've recently started adding 1/3-1/4 water, still tastes nice and tbh I'm going off it neat now...

Salad can also be pretty expensive this time of year. How about making some sort of mixed bean/rice/onion/sweetcorn concoction, you'll still get the crunch and the vitamins?
  • My household is 1.5 (boyfriend is only here Sundau evening to Wednesday Morning), and we are about £180 petr month, but we are stong on the meat and very little of the cheap fillers as we are both on Atkins. That also includes 2 cats, one of whom needs the more expensive food. I think you do need to keep a detailed log, and as **Juice** said, maybe yuo could get a delivery of the non-perisables to get the costs down? When yu say you love the 'Whoopsie' shelf, is that for pre-made meals, as that's still mostly not as cheap as cooking yourself?
  • trixie4trixie4 Forumite
    148 posts
    On the Woopsie shelf I tend to get meat, vegetables, bread and the occassional treat like sliced fruit.

Thank you all very much for your advice, it's been great. I think keeping my receipts and batch cooking as much as possible is the way forward!
    6k in 2012: £4200.00/£6000.00
    6k in 2013: £8209.62/£6000.00
    7k in 2014: £5900/£7000
  • pinksk8pinksk8 Forumite
    217 posts
    I think keeping receipts is a great idea, think this will be something I will start doing.

I used to make my own cereal and have it for breakfast and take some to work for lunch. It was very cheap to make and lasted for ages x x
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • We often spend £320 a month for two of us. We're trying to get it down to £220 a month. I don't know how people survive on only £10 a week unless they are veggie!
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • We often spend £320 a month for two of us. We're trying to get it down to £220 a month. I don't know how people survive on only £10 a week unless they are veggie!

I don't know how they do it either.

I've been to the Asda today and I spent £51.05 on food for the week for the two of us.
    There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro.....
  • callascallas Forumite
    69 posts
    I would like to think I don't spend very much on food but only by writing down every single thing did I realise that I am in fact spending an average of £100 for two a week. A bit of a shocker. I realise that I have to be a little more canny in supermarket shopping.

Yesterday on the monthly shop to Morrisons, I looked for the best option on frozen peas, they had an offer but remembered MSE advice at looking either at the bottom shelve or at all the options I opted for the value peas at £1 a packet, which was the cheapest. My husband was horrified and tried to put them back. I reasoned with him, a frozen pea is a frozen pea what difference could there actually be?

Planning meals, writing lists and writing down what you spend are the best ways of keeping an eye on things.

Buying a whole chicken which I roast, then make further meals with the left over meat, finally cooking down the bones for stock, which then goes into risotto or soups is one of the best value meats for me. Another thing I try and do is make something from the store cupboard as it is always full of stuff I buy and then don't use. Casseroles are fantastic because you can always pad them out with vegetables.
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    family of 4, 3 adult portion plus a small person £250 pm to inc packed lunches for 3
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • I don't know how they do it either.

I've been to the Asda today and I spent £51.05 on food for the week for the two of us.

Just mysupermarketed this weeks essentials, we're buying no meat just using what was in the freezer and it looks like we'll be spending £30 on veggies and packed lunches but that will only last until we've ate the freezer then we will have to spend more on meat again.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support