local frugal bargin hunters

in Wales
11 replies 2.5K views
I have joined the 2012 frugal challenge..

and just htought it would be great if we could have our owm local mini challanges, plus a thread for finding local bargins that are area specific...

I am from the swansea area, so would love to know if anyone uses the ethnic shops down by joe's ice cream parlour

I understand from other threads that you can get some good deals on rice spices etc in these shops...

was just wondering if anyone uses them, and what prices are their rice etc..

Also if you know of any good quality cheap fruit and veg sellers, whether it is in a weekly market or an independant shop etc..

Another good thing would be to discuss what times local supermarkets do their reductions..

Basically use this thread as a local frugal savings thread.....
Work to live= not live to work

Replies

• Great Idea CoolTrikerChick

Ethnical Shops I buy Basmati rice 10kilo for £7.99p
    Onions 5kilo 2.29 but ages since I last bought them
    I buy all my herbs and spices in Carmarthen Market they are the cheapest around large bags for around 70p each i usually go and stock up on a day trip as we love Carmarthen.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • ooo thanks welsh poppy, that is a good price for the basmati rice

the onions are a good price too,

but if you do on-line food orders i think they are 50p for 4kgs at rosspa..

I have been meaning to do an order, but havent got round to it yet..
  • Ooh Not been to rossa that seems brilliant value for onions.
    Yes the rice is a great price it was costing a fortune in supermarket.

Feb £150/
  • Managed to get some whoopsied bread and veg in mr t's on tuesday night, it was around 8pm... in llansamlet...

we have a booker's card, and i have worked out that the small 500g euro shopper bags of sugar works out at 77p per kg... in mr t and mr a they are 92p a kg..

so going to stock up on sugar... might even go tonight..to get some...

dont know if anyone knows of bags of sugar lower than 77p a kg?
  • No I think that is a good price for sugar we pay around 85p a kilo.

Feb £150/
  • catlovin_gal11catlovin_gal11 Forumite
    95 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Hi Guys. Where is Rossa or Rosspa? Is it a wholesalers in Swansea?
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi Guys. Where is Rossa or Rosspa? Is it a wholesalers in Swansea?

http://www.rosspa.co.uk/
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • To give booker member the heads up,

the 1kg bags of sugar ( think they are in packs of 15) work out at 66p a kg, the offer ends early to mid part of next week ( 0nly a few days)

i am going tomorrow to get some, along with more giant tins of dog food.

does anyone know what the prices of fruit and veg are like in clydach market these days? and in swansea market?
  • malidmalid Forumite
    360 Posts
    I have joined the 2012 frugal challenge..

and just htought it would be great if we could have our owm local mini challanges, plus a thread for finding local bargins that are area specific...

I am from the swansea area, so would love to know if anyone uses the ethnic shops down by joe's ice cream parlour

I understand from other threads that you can get some good deals on rice spices etc in these shops...

was just wondering if anyone uses them, and what prices are their rice etc..

Also if you know of any good quality cheap fruit and veg sellers, whether it is in a weekly market or an independant shop etc..

Another good thing would be to discuss what times local supermarkets do their reductions..

Basically use this thread as a local frugal savings thread.....

Hi there, we have previoulsy bought large bags of spices from a Chinese Supermarket in Riverside Cardiff (I worked in Cardiff so this was not a problem). We noticed the shops by Joe's last year and made a mental note to go there next time. We did buy some stuff at the time; large Naan breads I think which were delicious and a bargain. So I would say definately buy from there
  • theres usually a great deal of offers on a variety of rices, flours etc in MASALA BAZAR. There are 2 stores in Cardiff and one in Swansea and Newport.
    As for onions, I saw a 10kg onion sack for 99p! in Birmingham yesterday (went to a day trip there). Couldn't justify buying a sack as the car is unreliable, adding weight etc and it was a 2.5 hour drive back home.
    Assalamu alaikum. May Allahs blessings be upon you
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals