Install Central Heating

Options
My house doesn't have central heating. Water is currently heated by a water heater.
If I were to have heating installed how much mess would there be? Would I need to re-decorate every room???
:-/

J

Comments

• haribol_2
    Options
    Hi Jaffa

I have just fitted my own CH Boiler and Rad's as I got fed up of large quotes from Plumbers. I managed it with persiverance.

The only mess that occured was when I had to lift the floorboards and drill few holes in the wall to put up the rad's. So you would not need to re decorate.

I would recommend a CONDENSING Boiler as there is less pipework to do. I have used a Vaillant boiler and am chuffed to bits. My previous boiler for nine years was again a Condensing boiler as it gives you instant HOT water and fantastic power shower.

Hope this helps.
    I have learnt that providing excellence gets you what you deserve and not what you want !!!
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont make any Mess :D
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Jaffa

I have just fitted my own CH Boiler and Rad's as I got fed up of large quotes from Plumbers. I managed it with persiverance.

The only mess that occured was when I had to lift the floorboards and drill few holes in the wall to put up the rad's. So you would not need to re decorate.

I would recommend a CONDENSING Boiler as there is less pipework to do. I have used a Vaillant boiler and am chuffed to bits. My previous boiler for nine years was again a Condensing boiler as it gives you instant HOT water and fantastic power shower.

Hope this helps.

Seeing as you have managed to install a whole system by yourself can you tell me how easy it would be to install just an additional radiator to an existing CH system(also vaillant). I'm not too worried about the drilling but with a pressurised system does that not complicate matters a bit. Also would I have to drain all the water out before fiting the radiator or can I just turn off a valve somewhere in the radiator that I am going to connect the new one too?
    Did you have to do any reading up and if so can you point out any useful links. Thanks.
  • haribol_2
    Options
    If you are replacing an old rad then you can turn the valve off at one side and lift the cover on the other side valve turning the screw should turn that one off. Drain the rad from the air vent to release it's pressure. Then turning the nuts that fasten onto the rad should free it. You lift it off.

I have an old DIY Plumbing book that illustrates it well but I have seen many others in the library that are similar.

If you are putting up a new rad then you would put up the rad, run the flow end piping to the flow pipe and the opposite side to the return end piping. Obviously you will need to break into the current pressurised piping which will force water out. Once connected you can re-pressurise the system using a valve that is housed within or very near to your flow/return piping at the boiler.

you can always download the installation manual from the boiler manufacturer site

Please note i am no expert in this field. I read and read before attempting my project. It's not too bad once you understand the basic scheme of things.

Hope this helps
    I have learnt that providing excellence gets you what you deserve and not what you want !!!
  • thor
    Options
    What is the flow end piping exactly? Do all the radiators outlet pipes join up with it and lead to the Boiler somewhere?

Also does the water of the whole system drain out when installing an additional radiator (I want to put one up in the bathroom).

You say you are no expert but you sure seem to know what you are talking about haribol.

I'm still a bit uncertain so I think I'll check out Vaillant's website. It was no great shakes the last time I went there so that is why I have not considered it till now.
  • haribol_2
    Options
    Just to keep you on track.

Flow end is where the water flows from the boiler through the piping to each rad and enters your rad. The water then returns out of the rad ( return end ) into the return piping which eventually reaches your boiler.

As to how much water would drain out: You would lose most of the water. You would have to replenish this through the valve near the boiler that you may have.

Good Luck
  • thor
    Options
    Thanks, Haribol. If I attempt it I think I'll need it ;)
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    Hi thor,i have sent you a message,if you need any more info
  • thor
    Options
    I've not had a look at it yet but thanks for that plumb1.
    Your icon is quite a mover - Spiderman?
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    I've not had a look at it yet but thanks for that plumb1.
    Your icon is quite a mover - Spiderman?

Thats not spiderman,its me warming up before i go to work ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family