First Utility or Npower Fixed Tarrif

Options
sooty&sweep
sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
Hi

I'm after some advice. Our deal with EDF finishes today and so I'm trying to make my mind up where to switch to. I know I've left it very late, its been on my to do list for a while but with xmas etc its been left to the last minute.

Historically I've always just gone for the cheapest deal but this time the comparisons are indicating that we will see a slight increase.

I've narrowed it down to a variable tarrif with First Utility or a fixed deal with Npower.
The fixed deal with Npower is fixed until April 2013 but is currently about £50 per annum more expensive that the variable option with First Utility. However First Utility also offer more cashback than Npower so there would be a bigger saving that way as well.

My gut instinct is to go for the fixed deal with Npower because although slightly more expensive the saving I would make with First Utility would be wiped out if prices go up again.

Any advice ? Whats everyone else done ?

Thanks

Jen

Comments

• celtus
    celtus Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    ive checked first utilitys rates and they are much more expensive than Ovo, and as for npower i wouldnt dream of going with them if you want to save £££

Ovo for example are around 5p per kw cheaper than first utility for Electricity
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check the annual rebate with first:utility. It's rather large and in my opinion not really worth going with. Even Npower's deferred £105 annual discount does skew the comparison figures somewhat.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Check the annual rebate with first:utility. It's rather large and in my opinion not really worth going with. Even Npower's deferred £105 annual discount does skew the comparison figures somewhat.

With nPOWER the net unit rate includes the £105 cash back after 12 direct debits, so not only is it competitive stay with them so after 12 debits receive £105 no catch with First Utility their terms state leave within 12 months their initial unit rate 'could go up' should you leave, not so with nPOWERS their initial unit rate remains the same.

So whether you 'leave early' or not the initial price you see on the comparison site is the price you pay 'which attracted you to them in the first place' and should you stay you get £105 which cannot be bad

nPOWER also has Good customer care for me, including Speedily phone answering, competitive pricing,Online billing first class [when you provide regular readings] A very helpful company 'I find'.They care for your meter needs too, so less hassle with the consumer box
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    george1939 wrote: »
    With nPOWER the net unit rate includes the £105 cash back after 12 direct debits, so not only is it competitive stay with them so after 12 debits receive £105 no catch with First Utility their terms state leave within 12 months their initial unit rate 'could go up' should you leave, not so with nPOWERS their initial unit rate remains the same.

So whether you 'leave early' or not the initial price you see on the comparison site is the price you pay 'which attracted you to them in the first place' and should you stay you get £105 which cannot be bad

nPOWER also has Good customer care for me, including Speedily phone answering, competitive pricing,Online billing first class [when you provide regular readings] A very helpful company 'I find'.They care for your meter needs too, so less hassle with the consumer box
    I am with Npower too but your experience of them is vastly different to mine. With me I have not received my annual £105 cash back and that took 3 phone calls, emails and finally a letter to resolve. They don't bill regularly enough. Online billing asks me for a meter reading by email, I provide it then they ignore it as they don't believe it they then send me letters in the post to read it again then I send it again then they send a meter reader of their own but the computer does not understand that I have gas yet don't use it in summer. They wanted to do a meter flow test last time to make sure the meter wasn't stuck. Then the bill doesn't get generated so I have no bill. This happens so often it is very annoying.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    With me I have not received my annual £105 cash back and that took 3 phone calls, emails and finally a letter to resolve.

As a matter of interest did they offer any explanation for the failure to credit the cash-back?
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 January 2012 at 2:11PM
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    As a matter of interest did they offer any explanation for the failure to credit the cash-back?
    I was paying by whole bill quarterly direct debit. As the bills were not being generated the computer only created 1 bill and took 1 payment in the whole first year. The computer could not figure that out. They found it difficult to override thinking they had done it on the first 2 phone calls yet they hadn't so I had to escalate the complaint to get it resolved.

History of bills joined in March 09
    First bill Sep 09 £12 great nice and low automatically paid.
    Second bill Mar 10 £200 automatically paid but no £100 credit rang them OK we'll credit it and make another bill.
    Third bill Apr 10 £1 CR Ok they got the meter readings correct for the price change but still no credit rang again and promised it would be credited and a new bill generated.
    Fourth bill May 10 £14 OK that's a month of electricity but no credit rang again and another promise but this time I email with no response so write a letter.
    Fifth bill July 10 £100 CR Finally the credit has come through...
    Sixth bill Nov 10 £90 CR By this time I had switched to monthly dirct debit to hopefully beat the computer next time.
    Seventh bill due May 11 (Why are they six months apart?)
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks All,

I chose to go with NPower. We're currently with EDF and their customer service hasn't been great and to be honest I don't expect great service from any of them.

I saw some reviews of First Utility that put me off and I think that gas and electricity will go up again.

Jen
  • broke_as_a_
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I'm am currently in exactly the same dilema. I'm with EDF and looking to switch. After a few comparisons I am left with First Utility and Npower as my two options.

Did you notice the £264 'dual fuel discount' that is advertised with Firt Utility? Unless I have misunderstood it, you receive this discount on the aniversary of your first direct debit payment as long as you hit the minimum figure of £600 for the year.

I'm slightly swayed towards First Utility for this reason. Just wondering if that played any part in your decision?

Cheers

Ash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family