What to do with a broken PS3?

Hi DS1's PS3 has just broken. It was replaced by Sony in April 2009, so well outside the warranty period (although I feel that it should have lasted much longer than this!!)

I see that broken PS3s are being sold on Ebay. The HDD has my credit card details on and also DS1 PS3 account details on.

Is it possible to remove the HDD and put into a caddy to recover data?

If the PS3 is opened could we still sell it on?

Sony offering an exact reconditioned replacement for £110 ... shocking price.

We are looking for the best way forward, really.

Any suggestions /comments would be really useful.

tia

dx

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    you don't need to open a PS3 to remove the hard drive
    surely the HDD holds you account details,not the card details
    they will b on sonys servers?
    can't you log into the PSN network via PC and change them?
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    You can pull the HDD in moments, put it in a sata HDD caddy, and erase it via USB. re-format it too. The PS3 instruction book even gives you instructions on how to do it. It's not a warranty/"opening the case" issue.

It won't hold account details, but it will hold logins/user details and as such it's a good idea to wipe it before sale.
    HDD caddys are available for less than a tenner, and they're handy things to have lying about.
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    you don't need to open a PS3 to remove the hard drive
    surely the HDD holds you account details,not the card details
    they will b on sonys servers?
    can't you log into the PSN network via PC and change them?

You are probably right... I don't quite understand how these things work.

DS1 is keen to take the PS3 appart to see if he can fix it. I'm trying to stall him to see if there are better wys of doing things

dx
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964
    Forumite
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    You can pull the HDD in moments, put it in a sata HDD caddy, and erase it via USB. re-format it too. The PS3 instruction book even gives you instructions on how to do it. It's not a warranty/"opening the case" issue.

It won't hold account details, but it will hold logins/user details and as such it's a good idea to wipe it before sale.
    HDD caddys are available for less than a tenner, and they're handy things to have lying about.

Thanks, I have a caddy from a broken PC adventure.
    Can the data be saved to USB using a caddy and PC?

dx
  • Also log into https://www.qriocity.com with your psn details and deactivate the ps3 there, as now you are only allowed 2 active ps3 systems and will eliminate any probs you might have when getting a replacement:)
  • muddyl
    muddyl Posts: 579
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As above, then sell it on ebay minus the hdd. Depending on whats wrong with it, sets the price you'll get.
    If the blu ray drive is still ok you should get decent money. People not only buy them to fix their own, but also for all sorts of projects as the laser in them is pretty powerful.
  • wdw2003
    wdw2003 Posts: 235
    Forumite
    Depending on what broken ones sell for, I might be tempted to remove the HDD, shred any personal info using a caddy linked to your pc, replace the HDD and then flog the PS3 on Ebay. Depending on what caddies cost and what the sale net of charges gives you, it might not be worth the effort though.

Removal is just a couple of screws on the side, if I remember right. I replaced my 40gb HDD with a 320gb a couple of years ago and I think the trickiest part was using an 0 size screwdriver to remove the actual HDD, as it seemed really jammed in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure