"Optional"?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
2 replies 782 views
JobogoboboJobogobobo Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi,

I had two loans and two HP agreements which I would like to try and claim back PPI for.

I have gone through the checklist and the paperwork (I'm an Admin I throw NOTHING out!) and am struggling to define whether I might have a case.

It appears that on the paper work we have had to initial next to amounts for PPI and the word optional is used on the paperwork, which also refers us to T&Cs (which funnily enough I don't have-and can't remember ever having despite the fact I have everthing else). These loans and HP agreements were from 2004 and 5 and at the time both of us were not fully savvy about things...(he still isn't but I make up for that!) and until the furore about PPI began, I thought we had to buy it from the FI used and that it was a T&C of the loans. Both the loans were "bought" over the phone and the HP was with GMAC (Vauxhall) for cars.

Sorry, my question. Is it worth pursuing in anyones opinion? I have had several calls from PPI claim companies, one of which I entertained for twenty minutes and I must admit their interest in pursuing it, knowing all the above, has me thinking it might be worth it (although not through them!)

Thanks

Replies

• sazzersazzer Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Whatever you decide I would suggest not going through a claims company. They will take a large percentage of the money if you win and they won't do anything more than you can do yourself.

For example with my credit card, I didn't request any info, I literally sent a tempate letter (downloadable from Internet) with my credit card number detailing why i felt it was misold. Within a month I had a letter confirming they would uphold my complaint and I'm now 8k better off.

A friend used a claim handler and they charge 25%..... Seriously do it yourself, you have nothing to lose and it will cost you a stamp (I send them all recorded)

Good luck
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    sazzer wrote: »
    Whatever you decide I would suggest not going through a claims company. They will take a large percentage of the money if you win and they won't do anything more than you can do yourself.

For example with my credit card, I didn't request any info, I literally sent a tempate letter (downloadable from Internet) with my credit card number detailing why i felt it was misold. Within a month I had a letter confirming they would uphold my complaint and I'm now 8k better off.

A friend used a claim handler and they charge 25%..... Seriously do it yourself, you have nothing to lose and it will cost you a stamp (I send them all recorded)

All correct except that if you get proof of posting (free from the Post Office) FOS will consider it to have been delivered two working days later anyway.

However, simply thinking the policy was compulsory is not a valid complaint. You need to show it is more likely than not that whoever sold it to you misled you into believing it.

If you simply assumed then it may be a mispurchase but it is not a missale.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides