Miss sold PPI and incorrect data recorded to my credit file.

edited 31 December 2011 at 1:11PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
10 replies 1.3K views
Dougaldog_2Dougaldog_2 Forumite
3 Posts
edited 31 December 2011 at 1:11PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Resolved - clearly this site is just a bunch of 'internet lawyers' that know nothing that any member of the public should take advice of.
Give a man a gun he will rob a bank - make a man a banker - he will rob the world - anon.

Never take advice off an 'internet or bar room' lawyer!

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do I have grounds to seek damages taking into account how the Natwest have stopped me being able to borrow monies at a lower interest rate than what credit cards offer because they totally screwed my credit rating over and for the years of emotional 'mental' duress they have given me?

How have Natwest stopped you being able to borrow money?

it reads as if you have done that yourself due to your health issues. That sounds blunter than I mean it to be but the consequences are that if you borrow money, you need to pay it back. It is a risk based transaction. Unfortunately, in your case the risks have become apparent.
    Anyone recommend a good proven track record firm of solicitors please with experience of such as this?

Looking at debt counselling may be a better option.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 31 December 2011 at 1:23PM
    3 Posts
    edited 31 December 2011 at 1:23PM
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Give a man a gun he will rob a bank - make a man a banker - he will rob the world - anon.

106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your reply. I did say in my original post that they had marked defaults 'non or late payments' against my name when there are not any on this debt. Payment plans were agreed and I stuck to them.

Whilst a payment plan may have been agreed, you were still in default on the original terms.
    I have to ask - did you read all of my original post? It is all in there is it not?

I speed read it. It wasnt the easiest post to follow.
    They have admitted liability by apologising - albeit verbally to date.

bank staff (and humans in general) are notorious for saying sorry without meaning it and it is not an admittance of liability. They word "sorry" carries a number of differing meanings nowadays depending on context.

Where it matters is their complaints team. One assumes that given how unhappy you are that you have made a formal complaint? What was the outcome of that? Assuming you didnt get what you want, did you then refer it to the FOS?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 31 December 2011 at 1:24PM
    3 Posts
    edited 31 December 2011 at 1:24PM
    I can see you have no constructive advice for me.

• Although dunstonh gives somewhat sharp replies in many of his posts, his great virture is that he tells it how it is. I have read many of his posts on this forum, and he does not tell people what they want to hear, he tells them what they need to hear. I am not a lawyer, but there is free legal advice out there - for example, the CAB? Have you complained to the FOS about how you have been treated? I can certainly empathise with your situation, but the people who post most on these forums are generally the ones who can help you the most
    MBNA Credit Card PPI 1 Upheld - £1314 :)

MBNA Credit Card PPI 2 Rejected :( - Complained to FOS....MBNA Upholding....Awaiting Figures :)....Cheque Received £5712 :)
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dougaldog wrote: »
    I did say in my original post that they had marked defaults 'non or late payments' against my name when there are not any on this debt. Payment plans were agreed and I stuck to them.

As DunstonH says, the only reason you would have a payment plan is that you failed to maintain your original loan agreement - i.e. you defaulted on that agreement.

So whilst you may have entered into an agreement to pay back, possibly at a lower rate, possibly with interest written off and almost certainly with full interest being charged on the late interest, the bank is entitled to record that you defaulted on the original agreement.
    These defaults have stopped every single credit check in their tracks

Then your complaint is that you have been defamed by the bank and have suffered as a result. However, the bank's defence is that, for the reasons I have outlined above, it is true.
    Debt counselling is not an option presently as I am seeking damages from the Natwest for the above reason.

Damages that I am hoping will be sufficient to clear the debt in full.

I have written to the Natwest and effectively told them this - that i am willing to settle out of court - that is their 'cheapest' option as I see it?

So rather than doing what any normal person would do, you are attempting to blackmail them into writing off the debt. I really do not see a court (or the Financial Ombudsman Service) thinking that is a reasonable position to adopt.
    They have admitted liability by apologising - albeit verbally to date.

Section 2 of the Compensation Act 2006 says otherwise:

"An apology, an offer of treatment or other redress, shall not of itself amount to an admission of negligence or breach of statutory duty."

I can see you have no constructive advice for me.

I think the only constructive advice that can be offered to you is "stop being silly and wasting everybody's time".
    Saying you speed read my post tells me you are not genuinely interested too.

I think even a speed read represents a dedication of time free of charge. If you have no time for anybody except those who are going to massage your own fond delusions then it is more than you deserve.
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, FoS etc., have been and are again involved.

So, you have complained to the bank and got nowhere. You have complained to the FOS and got nowhere. Now you want a solicitor to work for you for free and take the bank to court. That is despite the FOS being slightly more consumer friendly than the courts. The courts consider points of law. The FOS consider law and fairness. If the FOS dont think you have been treated unfairly then you will be hard pressed to find anyone that does.
    Thank you for your replies but I can see you have no constructive advice for me.

It sounds like you only want to hear answers that support your view.
    lease, people that know the law etc., you are the ones 'a solicitor' I am looking for - not speculative 'internet' lawyers - no offence intended.

Pay for a solicitor then and dont post to the internet.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dougaldog wrote: »
    clearly this site is just a bunch of 'internet lawyers' that know nothing that any member of the public should take advice of.

No - it just can't help those who are silly enough to throw their toys off their Magic Roundabouts because they do not like what they are told.
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do some people ask questions but when the answers dont match what they want to hear they get all stroppy.

There are some very strange people out there.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Why do some people ask questions but when the answers dont match what they want to hear they get all stroppy.

There are some very strange people out there.

Some people seem to insist on learning the hard way.

I suppose that if we tell them they are right then we can take the blame when it goes wrong.

That is why I always tell my clients to recommend what is right, not what their customers want to buy - and to put it in writing!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals