Are uni fees covered by sale of goods and services act?

Options
I ask because I am a first year student, but its my second degree. When I applied I declared that it was my second degree, and the university have seen a copy of my first degree (as in the piece of paper I was handed on my graduation). My conditional offer letter stated my fees would be £3375, as did my actual offer letter. I have paid one instalment of this year's fees, which was a third of said £3375. The problem arises because as this is my second degree, I think the university should be charging me more money, closer to 9 grand.
Am I covered by the sale of goods and services act? I would never have undertaken this degree if it had been offered to me at the higher price, it is unaffordable for me.

Thanks.

PS I'm sorry if I should have posted somewhere else instead of starting a new thread. Forum mods please feel free to move this if it should be elsewhere

Comments

• tomjonesrules
    Options
    Why not ask the question to the university before trying to find a way out of paying?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are doing a degree course,why would it be more?
    or is it a masters course?
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    You are a student.

You can drop out any time you choose.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    If you are doing a degree course,why would it be more?
    or is it a masters course?

Students who already have an undergraduate degree have to pay overseas student rates.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This isn't a Sales of Goods & Services Act issue, its a contractual issue. Has the contract been signed and price agreed?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    You are a student.

You can drop out any time you choose.

What an idiotic comment, op makes no mention of wanting to drop out -- and i'm sure op doesn't want to waste time, effort and money by dropping out halfway through the course!

Op -- contact the university and confirm the price and make your payment. If you have confirmed a price, had it in writing, signed a contract -- even if it was a mistake I think they would struggle to find legal grounds to recind the contract as they had many opportunities to realise the mistake and review the application (assuming you have supplied all correct information).
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Have a search of this board for "university". I've a feeling this issue (or a similar one) has been discussed earlier this year. (I'm on my iPod else I'd search myself).
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Have a search of this board for "university". I've a feeling this issue (or a similar one) has been discussed earlier this year. (I'm on my iPod else I'd search myself).

I remember one thread not all that long ago. Pretty sure the OP was asking if courses were covered by SoGA because the "goods were not as described". They had made some changes to the course that he wasnt happy with.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're right - so not the same situation as here.
  • WelshSun
    WelshSun Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    I remember one thread not all that long ago. Pretty sure the OP was asking if courses were covered by SoGA because the "goods were not as described". They had made some changes to the course that he wasnt happy with.

All universities have in their small print that courses may be changed at any date. There have even been cases of unis closing courses/ departments and students have been chuked out on their final year with no compensation. Bad but true.

OP-
    Universities arent covered by the SOGA. What does the contract you signed say?
    Though government policy is that students doing their second degree must pay full fees (What will be listed as international fees in the prospectus).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure